Crime-courts

Police arrest 2 after Suisun copper wire theft

By From page A3 | May 31, 2012

SUISUN CITY — Two men in a truck loaded with copper wiring were arrested early Tuesday and booked into the Solano County jail on suspicion of felony theft and other related alleged offenses.

James F. Ferguson, 49, and Christopher L. Newcomer, 35, were stopped by police shortly after 5 a.m. as they drove from the area of Hickam Circle. Police received a call about 90 minutes earlier reporting that two men had parked a truck on Hickam Circle and were seen walking with a backpack into a field toward the Lambrecht Sports Complex. Police later discovered that copper wiring at the ball fields had been stolen.

Ferguson, a Fairfield resident and Newcomer, of Suisun City, both have been arrested several times in recent years, according to court records.

Reach Jess Sullivan at 427-6919 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jsullivandr.

Jess Sullivan

Jess has covered the criminal justice system in Solano County for several years. He was an embedded reporter in Iraq in 2003.

• Donelle KucalaMay 30, 2012 - 8:39 pm

I could not be happier about this arrest. This copper theft is getting old and causing us the citizens to much. 35 years old and your out stealing.

• WoodyMay 31, 2012 - 4:57 am

I'm glad to read an arrest was made. I would also like to know where these scoundrels were going to recycle the copper? I have to show my drivers license for soda cans, how do thieves get away with selling the copper?

• A Crime Ridden CityMay 31, 2012 - 6:39 am

Peterson Ranch is SwineSoon's premier housing area. But now it to is changing--for the worse. Truants, garbage pickers, burglaries, vandalism of private/public property--who needs it?

• Fed UpJune 01, 2012 - 6:42 am

Newcomer was arrested in Vallejo for felony grand theft right before Christmas. What is wrong with the justice system that allows parasites like this to keep running around causing mayhem with no consequences? Stealing copper for drug money when he should be home taking care of his wife and baby, it's a crying shame.

• CD BrooksJune 01, 2012 - 7:24 am

I made a suggestion that PD bring in Feds to help out. They garnered big results in Oakland. Laws must be enforced and penalties exacted to the fullest extent. Classify gangs as terorists, have a zero tolerance terrorist law and take out the trash.

• DonnaJune 01, 2012 - 8:22 pm

I above and beyond everyone am glad that they were caught committing this crime because I unfortunately am the victim of Christopher newcomers one of many crimes on April 3rd 2012 newcomer gave me a stolen travelers check in exchange as payment for some power tools that I had sold him and was insistent that the check was of legal tender I then on April 6th preceded to cash the check as payment of merchandise at a Vacaville store where I was later arrested in my driveway of my home for possession of stolen property and forgery both carrying felony charges needless typ say mr newcomer refused to come forward and claim responsibility and I had to lay $2500 to bail myself out so I could return home to care for my child and grieve the recent passing of my mother. I now am faced with $10,000 worth of attorney fees all at the hands of mr newcomer so yes I am very grateful to the Fairfield police dept for catching this criminal thief justice has prevailed thank you so much mayb I stand a chance at winning my case now

• Bart MurrayMay 12, 2014 - 3:56 pm

Chris Newcomer is a theif he was convicted for stealing property from Vacaville

• Sentencing AlternativesMay 12, 2014 - 5:07 pm

One whack on the backside for each foot of stolen copper. Alternative punishments other than prison should be used, and caning is one that touch a nerve in criminals.