Pathologist: Vacaville double-homicide victims shot at close range

By From page A4 | May 22, 2014

Richard R. Calkins

Richard R. Calkins

FAIRFIELD — Victims in a double-homicide were killed by gunshot wounds fired at close range, a forensic pathologist testified Wednesday in the murder trial of Richard R. Calkins.

Dr. Arnold Josselson said in Solano County Superior Court he was asked to review autopsies performed on Richard M. Perez, 20, and Cameron S. Silva, 21, killed in the Nov. 16, 2010, shootings in Vacaville.

Perez died of three gunshot wounds, Josselson said in court. Silva had four gunshots wounds, the forensic pathologist said.

Josselson works for the Forensic Medical Group of Fairfield and said he has performed 7,000 to 8,000 autopsies.

Dr. Susan Hogan, who performed the autopsies on the two victims, said in January she would rather go to jail than take the witness stand during Calkins trial. Hogan in previous court appearances on unrelated murder hearings was intensely cross-examined about other autopsy results.

She was fired from the Solano County Sheriff-Coroner’s Office last year.

Vacaville resident Mark Ramos, also a witness Wednesday in the murder trial, testified that he was driving on Merchant Street near Ace Hardware when he saw a man walking in the middle of the road. The man, later identified by law enforcement as Calkins, pulled a pistol and pointed it at him, Ramos said.

Ramos sped away and called Vacaville police, who asked him if he could still see the man. Ramos, about 500 feet away, answered yes and said the man was in the parking lot of the Police Department.

“He proceeded up the stairs,” Ramos said, “and walked into the lobby.”

Ramos said after the man walked out, an officer with a rifle appeared and Ramos heard someone say, “Get on the ground.”

Calkins, who has pleaded not guilty, is accused of fatally shooting Perez and Silva at a Williams Street apartment.

While police were at the shooting scene Calkins, armed with a handgun, showed up at the Vacaville police station a few blocks away, according to law enforcement. He began smashing lobby windows and vandalizing the lobby before he was shot with a Taser and arrested as he left the lobby, police said.

Calkins had been previously arrested for allegedly assaulting police officers in Vacaville. The case was resolved with his pleading no contest to disturbing the peace. As a condition of the plea deal, he agreed to take a 16-hour anger management class.

Reach Ryan McCarthy at 427-6935 or [email protected]

Ryan McCarthy


Discussion | No comments

The Daily Republic does not necessarily condone the comments here, nor does it review every post. Please read our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy before commenting.

  • Recent Articles

  • Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2016 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.