Thursday, December 18, 2014

Solano judge grants new restraining order against 9-year-old

rolling hills greivance 11_7_13

Stephen Feudner protests in from of Rolling Hills Elementary, Nov. 13. (Robinson Kuntz/Daily Republic)

From page A1 | April 03, 2014 |

FAIRFIELD — A new temporary restraining order was granted Wednesday that requires a 9-year-old boy to keep at least 2 yards away from another child who attends Rolling Hills Elementary who says the boy attacked and later stalked him.

Stephen Feudner, who says his son has been a target of the 9-year-old, thanked Solano County Superior Court Judge Garry Ichikawa for granting the new order.

Feudner, 53, said in court that the Fairfield-Suisun School District won’t provide the Sheriff’s Office with the name and address of the 9-year-old – information necessary to serve the court order.

“I’m being stonewalled,” Feudner said. “The school will not give me that information.”

Kris Corey, superintendent for the Fairfield-Suisun district, has said such information is confidential. She is out of the office this week and could not be reached Wednesday for comment.

Andrew Ownby, pupil services director for the school district, attended Wednesday’s court hearing. He said the school district could only release the address and name if legally authorized to do so.

“The school district takes bullying very seriously as well as student privacy rights,” Ownby said.

He said Rolling Hills is a California Distinguished School.

“Our schools are very safe,” Ownby said.

Feudner asked the judge to issue an order that the school district provide the Sheriff’s Office with the name and address of the 9-year-old. Ichikawa said Feudner should consult with an attorney about the matter and that a proper application has to be made to the court for such a request.

Feudner said the temporary restraining order first granted March 19 expired five days later because he lacked the information needed to serve the restraining order.

He said he’s been unable to find an attorney to take his case. Feudner is scheduled to return to court May 12 about the temporary restraining order against the 9-year-old.

Feudner, a single father who has sons ages 5 and 9 who attend Rolling Hills, said after the court hearing that no new incidents have occurred since March 4, when he said his older son was punched by the 9-year-old who is the subject of the restraining order. Feudner said school district officials asked to meet last week, but that he declined to do so.

School officials have failed to respond to problems at Rolling Hills Elementary, he said.

“I have no intention of meeting with the school district or talking with anybody without an attorney present,” he said.

Ownby said the Fairfield-Suisun district “is ready, willing and able to meet with family members” about concerns they may have. If people choose not to, that is their decision, Ownby said.

Feudner said Rolling Hills, with an enrollment of about 700, is a great school except for approximately 20 children who he said are disciplinary problems.

“They want to pretend that small percentage doesn’t exist,” Feudner said of school district officials.

Feudner wants the 9-year-old he said has bullied his son to be expelled.

“I do have compassion for that little boy,” he said. “He was born innocent.”

But the youth is the school bully and nothing is being done about it, Feudner said.

The Fairfield father said that when his sons reach middle school, he wants them to attend the Public Safety Academy in the Fairfield-Suisun district, or Vacaville Christian School. The safety academy provides career preparation for children interested in law enforcement, firefighting and other public safety-related work.

Feudner said he has shown his sons how to protect themselves. He advised them if confronted by a bully to take a step back, tell the bully to keep his hands off them and to defend themselves if the bully advances.

“You may be in trouble with the school,” Feudner told his sons about protecting themselves. “You won’t be in trouble at home.”

The 6-foot-tall Feudner spoke about working in law enforcement for 32 years, that such service led to three death threats by criminal gangs and that he carries a handgun. He recalled that as a junior high school student in Northern California, he dealt with three different bullies.

“I could give you their first and last names,” he said.

Feudner said he used to walk about a mile to avoid one of the bullies, but ended up facing the junior high youth one day.

“I popped him,” Feudner recalled. “After that, he left me alone.”

Feudner said another youth, who with a group used to rob Feudner of lunch money, re-emerged in 1988 as an inmate at San Quentin State Prison, where Feudner was working as a correctional officer.

Reach Ryan McCarthy at 427-6935 or rmccarthy@dailyrepublic.net.

• GemmaApril 03, 2014 - 5:00 am

I don't like running up against brick walls. I think this gentleman does. If you don't follow the steps laid out to you, i.e. meeting with the school, then you can't demand things from them, and expect to receive them. He would have more leverage if he jumped through their hoops. If I truly felt my children weren't safe at school AND I wasn't getting resolution, I would find a new school. What's more important-his children's safety, or winning this feud? Clearly winning is more important to him, along with his LE career. I would be so embarrassed if he was my dad.

• Rich GiddensApril 03, 2014 - 6:55 am

Gemma will defend official misconduct to no end in her up is down California State and Local Government world!

• Rich GiddensApril 03, 2014 - 6:56 am

Here's yet another reason to hate state and local government. They won't even protect cops or their kids.

• TonyMApril 03, 2014 - 8:43 am

Gemma you do not have a clue about what you are talking about! I personally met with the School district personnel about the same thing years ago. They told me they had it under control. Bruises on my Son later I met again with them. I told them they did not have it under control. I told them I would video tape recess for evidence. They told me I could not do that. I told them from Public streets I could. I thought I out smarted them. They had other trick up their sleeve. Child Protective Services came to my door. They were sent there by the School District. They were concerned that I put the bruises on my child since the school nurse made sure she asked my Son if his dad spanked him. I found out that this was one of their weapons against parents that push back. Thank God my son and I were being seen by a well known PhD Psychologist during a custody dispute. My PhD beats their Social Worker in Court every time! I did take him out of the school district when they suspended him for fighting when he was knocked down flat on his back and was kicking from there to keep the bully away. Also one day the school bus driver drove him to my front door because she saw a bully and friend getting off at my son's bus stop. They started to pick on him and she had my son get back on the bus. Guess who got suspended? My son for fighting. My son has been in Special Education for a form of Autism all his school years. So Gemma do NOT go there. Private schools are expensive for Single parents with a special needs child!

• CD BrooksApril 03, 2014 - 8:56 am

TonyM, as a handicapped parent, I feel your anger! There is plenty to this story that most folks don't know and they base their objections against Mr. Feudner for differing reasons. His story went national and I have followed the stories in the SF Chronicle, Huffington Post, New York times and LA news. The consensus is this goes on in schools across the country and that most schools practice this policy. I suppose to do otherwise would subject them to liability charges. I will not allow my kids/grandkids to be bullied and take the same position as Mr. Feudner. Try and walk away but there is a time when standing up will be necessary. Our kids know the drill.

• CD BrooksApril 03, 2014 - 8:59 am

Yeah, my sanity has been questioned a time or two, but my point was I am the parent of a handicapped adult! :)

• TonyMApril 03, 2014 - 9:57 am

CD, the schools bureaucracy has developed into a 'push them through machine'. My Son could not read his History book yet they gave him a passing grade. I spent hours working with him doing homework. I knew the truth about his reading level. I called a meeting to discuss this passing grade. I was told from the school district and his teacher he was doing grade level work. I called him into the meeting and had him try to read his class history book. After a few minutes the school district person stopped it and said we understand now! Two days later Child Protective Services appeared at my door again. The School District told them that I emotionally abused my child by making him read in front of them. Again my PhD Psychologist trumped their threat to make me stop challenging their 'Push them through machine'. What made me stop and go to a private school was when he was at Crystal school. There was a teacher that cared about him and was the best thing to happen for him. He was turning around with a little help from the PhD suggesting different approaches to the school and for her caring. She announced her retirement and at that point there was not any replacement. I saw the painting on the wall coming from the school district with a new Special Education teacher without any experience.

• JBDragonApril 03, 2014 - 12:48 pm

This is exactly why there has to be schol vouchers. Allowing parents to send their kids to the school of their choice! Public schools and the unions don't want that. All they care about is money and protecting the teachers and covering things up. It's sure as he'll not about the kids. Then they teach them a lot of other b.s. Crap other then the basics. When a parent has choices, the poor schools will fail and the teaches are out of a job. The great teachers will find a nice job at a non public school. Vouchers allows even the poor to have a choice on schools for their kids. Funny how the Rich Democrats are all for the unions and the public schools and yet send their kids to private school. Say one thing while doing another. Shouldn't the middle class and poor be allowed to have that option? Let the free market work! Good schools get packed and busy with lots of kids getting a great education And the bad school fail and disapear! That's much better for all kids!

• The MisterApril 03, 2014 - 6:30 am

It's not a school... it's a government indoctrination center. You would expect scenarios like this at a government indoctrination center.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxBAy3901kc CD BrooksApril 03, 2014 - 9:15 am

My favorite bully come-uppance! I laughed and applauded. Sometimes it has to come down to this, walk away proud. This could be the difference between some poor kid bringing a gun or knife to school.

• boomApril 03, 2014 - 9:39 am

A)You have to look at the etymology of his last name (Feud)ner.B) You have to take into consideration he too was bullied at school.C)Now you have a bullied child who works in corrections who has to resort to filing restraining orders against 9 year old children.D)No lawyer will take his case, that says a lot in my book.

• CD BrooksApril 03, 2014 - 9:45 am

Boom, you know zero about this case. Why would you bring such nonsense? There are a lot of stories about schools looking the other way. This policy needs to be addressed and changed.

• archieApril 03, 2014 - 4:16 pm

boom goes the dynamite,,,, corrections officers for the most part are an odd bunch to anyways

• archieApril 03, 2014 - 4:17 pm

to anyways???? oops meant anyways

• Typical County WorkerApril 03, 2014 - 9:47 am

The FFSUSD does not have the resources to protect the children. Even if they did, they can’t do anything about it. They can’t touch the bully. They can suspend the person, but that’s an instant vacation for the twerp. Expel the kid; send them to another school to continue bullying. Also, a lot of times the bully is also a socialite/jock, a value to the school and thus not disciplined even when caught. The one that is usually caught and punished is the victim, after they end up defending themselves because they are fed up with the abuse. Well, maybe now at least at Armijo, the bully can go to the new administration building and sit and relax if they are ever caught instead of having to suffer in the old dilapidated classrooms.

• Typical County WorkerApril 03, 2014 - 10:05 am

RE Why attorney wouldn't take the case: (boom) Temporary Restraining Orders are a pain in the rear for an attorney especially on a minor. An attorney would have to notify the parents (unknown) 24 hours before the scheduled hearing. This extra time and effort costs a lot of money at $ 350 – 400/hr and then the attorney would have to hire a private investigator to ascertain their names and attempt to locate the minor and parents for service of process(more $$). They would probably have to bring suit against the FFSUSD to disclose the enrollment record of the minor subject. So months of court hearings later, and a ton of money spent, they would get success. If they are in Pro Per, the plaintiff can walk in and get it signed by a Judge. Legal aid will help them fill out the proper forms for free. I am surprised that there is not an attorney that will take the case. Hopefully, he talked to the few attorneys who said the case is cost prohibitive in reality and would not waste his money when he could get quicker success for free.

• KellyApril 03, 2014 - 10:41 am

Looks like nothing ever changes in the school systems. The school won't do anything to the bully... you'll get absoltuley no where on that one. Following up with the police and news air time is/was a good move. Once the Sup decides to come to work they might do something since you have caused enough of a stir... but more than likely wont be sufficient. Outside of medical issues the child no doubt parents or lack of parents are to blame with the bully kid. The apple never falls far... Good luck with the whole situation because you are going to need more than luck to get anywhere with this one...

• boomApril 03, 2014 - 8:15 pm

No shoot sherlock. If an attorney won't do it for him, and I'm sure they're are some first years' out there who are chasing ambulances and he isn't intelligent enough to go get online, print up the .pdf's and do it himself, then I think it would go to my general undertone on my previous comment.@CD, Idk who you Think you are, but you don't know me and you surely don't know what I do and do not know about this case or any other case that is reported on in this or any other media source. So, in short, suck a walnut through a garden hose and blow it back at yourself when your done.

• Typical County WorkerApril 03, 2014 - 9:14 pm

No, what I said is a good attorney would have told him to do it himself. He must have not went to a scuzzy lawyer for a consult. A lawyer not taking the case has no bearing on the merits of his case which Garry Ichikawa ruled he had enough evidence to get a TRO. By the way, I never said anything directed at you personally and I don't care who you are and what you do. All I do know about you is to take a statement of fact and think it is a personal attack.

• boomApril 03, 2014 - 11:52 pm

One man's fact is another man's fiction. I would argue with you but you sn let's me know you're already jaded.

• CD BrooksApril 04, 2014 - 6:50 am

Boom, yes that is correct I don't know you. But then again it's really easy to talk smack while hiding behind an alias. Using your name isn't a requirement here but I always say if you have something positive to offer, stand up and be counted. You haven't done either.

• IJSApril 03, 2014 - 1:11 pm

PSA is a good school, but bullying also goes on there. My child attends PSA, and although she is not the target and she is not the one bullying, she sees it, and tells me about it. It is sad.

• MarkApril 03, 2014 - 3:09 pm

When my son was in FFSUSD, he was bullied. The school did nothing. That bully later ended up in the hospital because he tried to bully the wrong kid at school. Dunno about other school districts but bullying in FFSUSD is pretty well know to the parents of kids in FFSUSD.

• RalphApril 03, 2014 - 10:32 pm

this is obviously one side of the story, I wouldn't take this father to seriously..He seems to know it all and whats good for his son. Just looking for attention.

• Proud RHE parent!April 03, 2014 - 10:42 pm

I am really upset about this entire situation! My child attends Rolling Hills and yes, there are disagreements between the students but they are always dealt with! Most of you that are commenting do not have children at this school so it is unfair to judge what is going on based on what this dad says. He is extremely rude to other parents and their children. He is a regular at the park behind the school where he constantly tells people what to do at what he deems "his park". His children are no angels either! I'm by no means saying that FSUSD is perfect but I am saying that this particular school is being slammed by people who have no experience with the school. Think for a minute about his actions: he protests outside of the school with a sign stating the children are not safe...at the time the children are leaving school, with all of them reading this sign! No one is looking at how this is affecting the students. Honestly if the bullying is that bad why hasn't he asked for his children to be moved? Why are there no other complaints against this student who has supposedly bullied his boys so much? Yet, there are numerous complaints against his sons. The fact is this: he is looking to sue the school district and he is doing his best to deflect attention from.the troubles his own boys have. It would be better for him to focus on his own children's behavioral problems. Please stop giving this story merit by comparing it to valid bullying stories. This school and its staff deserve better and so do the students!

• concerned parentApril 03, 2014 - 11:10 pm

Yes! Well said! People think he's some kind of anti bullying hero. They have no clue. How much you want to bet he'll start the Fuedner Anti Bullying Foundation? We'll see him as an expert commentator on CNN, Nancy Grace, etc. And he'll be soaking in all the attention all the while saying how much he cares for the children!

• Concerned parentApril 03, 2014 - 11:04 pm

Oh Lord, the hothead carries a gun! I hope the police are keeping close tabs on him. And I hope he doesn't wait until middle school to move his kids! Seeing this guy on a daily basis is anxiety provoking. And that judge is a nutcase! I wonder if he feels threatened/intimidated by Fuedner like so many others. I mean, really, a restraining order for a 9 year old unnamed kid? Rediculous. Why won't Feudner meet with district officials? Not surprising he can't get an attorney to take his case! Rolling Hills parents are tired of him and his nonsense. Get a life!

• KellyApril 04, 2014 - 8:01 am

Yeah you would think that a judge that actually provided the restraining order would have had a valid reason to do so.... wait a sec...maybe there is a valid reason... My take on why he won't meet with the administrative staff is because he's been down that road and nothing came of it. Now that he has stirred the pot administration maybe they feel they have to do something. I wouldn't meet with them either after doing it once. Why does the school need to meet to implement a solution to the problem? Might be a good idea for all the parents that are tired of seeing this guy at the school to talk to the administration about it. They will all get about as far as this guy did with the bully. Nothing will happen. Maybe these same parents that are tired of seeing this guy should move their kids to another school. This kinda problem wont be there... right? People reading this article don't have to have a kid at this school to pass along an opinion. The school itself is like every other school system out there... the same things go on there that go on every where else... and this is the same stuff that was going on when I put my kids through the school district.

• Proud RHE parent!April 04, 2014 - 9:33 am

Actually, we have complained and he is no longer there. However, he is unwilling to discuss anything with the School District that's what you don't understand! He has stayed from the beginning that he wants to speak with a lawyer first. I am going to reiterate this, if he had an issue, he could have gone to the principal. She is ALWAYS available! And no, I am not a PTO parent but I know from.experience that she truly wants to see every child succeed. Even Feudner's! The problem is this: his children were having behavioral problems and he in turn, said it was because of the bullying going on that they had been acting like that! So now, you have a school's hands tied on how to treat his children. Please understand that as his neighbor, we are all at his and his children's mercy! We actually will not stay at a public park when he is there! He should not be carrying a weapon either!

• RHE MommyApril 04, 2014 - 10:16 am

Amen to Proud RHE Parent. 1. I actually think Steve is a nice guy and I kind of feel bad for him. BUT, if you have spent more than 2 minutes around him, you know he is so intense and an over-reactor! 2. He is filing a restraining order against a kid for one incident...and since the incident, nothing else has occurred? I've met his son and I wouldn't be surprised if his son was taunting the "bully" and got popped in return. Like someone has stated before, his kids are no angels. There are always two sides to the story. 3. Thanks for sharing the fact that Steve carries a handgun. That's comforting...

Solano College trustees move back ‘home’

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Needs of small dog give Solano man life’s mission

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A1, 5 Comments | Gallery

Christmas comes early for prenatal program participants

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A2 | Gallery

Police chief: Suisun crime up 3 percent in 2014

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3, 2 Comments | Gallery

Council OKs $65,730 pact to advocate for Travis base

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Fairfield pays $42,500 to settle soil suit

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Jury convicts teen for role in 2012 DeBartolo’s heist

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A3, 5 Comments | Gallery

Fairfield police log: Dec. 16, 2014

Fairfield police log: Dec. 15, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 16, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 15, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

Pope played crucial role in US-Cuba rapprochement

US travel industry carefully eyeing Cuba tourism

US-Cuba thaw could benefit farmers, energy and travel firms

Cubans cheer historic renewal of US relations

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 2 Comments

Freed American endured years of declining health

US, Cuba patch torn relations in historic accord

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 1 Comment

Fears fanned by hackers bring down Sony film

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 1 Comment

Like Iran, secret diplomacy leads to US-Cuba thaw

Bay Bridge light sculpture to keep on shining

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 4 Comments

Study: Huge wildfire supports need for controlled burns

A fresh setback for efforts to cure HIV infection

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 2 Comments

14 charged in deadly 2012 meningitis outbreak

Study: Alcatraz inmates could have survived escape

Colombian rebels announce unilateral cease-fire

Russians flock to stores to pre-empt price rises

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

Pakistan buries victims of school massacre

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

Nigerian court sentences 54 soldiers to death

Crime Witness Protocol 101

By Kelvin Wade | From Page: A7, 8 Comments

Editorial Cartoons: Dec. 18, 2014

Today in History: Dec. 18, 2014

Community Calendar: Dec. 18, 2014

Horoscopes: Dec. 18, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

My siblings don’t want to replace abusive mother’s pacemaker

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

25 movies chosen for the National Film Registry

Saving Private Ryan’ among films being preserved

Carr faces another tough test in rookie season

For MLB, changes in Cuba will take time to sort out

Falcons cruise by crushers in girls basketball

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1, 1 Comment | Gallery

49ers release McDonald amid further legal trouble

Track coach Drummond gets 8-year doping suspension

Warriors’ Bogut out with knee injury vs. Thunder

AP source: Romo close to $15M, 2-year deal with Giants

Baseball monitoring White House Cuba decision

APNewsBreak: Judge rejects NCAA concussions deal

Painkillers lawsuit against NFL dismissed; may be appealed

Garcia resigns as FIFA prosecutor

Chattanooga women stun No. 7 Stanford 54-46

This date in sports history for Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014

McDonald’s in Japan limits orders of fries

Amid scrutiny, Uber says it will focus more on safety

Health care exchange sign-ups exceeding last year

By The Associated Press | From Page: B5, 1 Comment

Fed to be ‘patient’ about a rate hike; stocks soar

Marian L. “Chicki” Downs