Crime-courts

Judge sentences Vacaville man with 10 DUI convictions to 5 years

By From page A3 | May 23, 2014

FAIRFIELD — A Vacaville man with 10 convictions for driving under the influence was sentenced Thursday in Solano County Superior Court to a maximum five-year prison sentence for drunken driving.

Steven Mark Henson, 54, spoke in court before his sentencing and said he’s been drinking since he was 9, that both his parents were alcoholics and he’s sorry for what he did.

“Now I’m looking at prison again,” he said.

Henson was arrested Jan. 19 in Vacaville on suspicion of driving under the influence.

Melanie Collins, deputy public defender, argued against the five-year prison term while Rashaan Jones, deputy district attorney, noted the defendant’s three prior prison terms and said five years is appropriate.

Judge Donna Stashyn told Henson he’s performed poorly on probation and imposed the sentence.

“I do believe you are remorseful,” the judge said. “I don’t doubt your words.”

But Stashyn said of granting probation that, “I don’t believe the risk is worth it for the community.”

Reach Ryan McCarthy at 427-6935 or [email protected]

Ryan McCarthy

• RalphMay 23, 2014 - 1:02 am

whats his status? is he contributing...anything? I don't believe that Loser will do anything positive for this community. That's a accident waiting to happen.

• Not going to argue with you people this is my 2 centsMay 23, 2014 - 2:31 am

10 DUI's and all he gets is 5 years? Do we have to wait for him to plow down a shopping mall? Throw away the key before something truly terrible happens.

• GemmaMay 23, 2014 - 6:50 am

@ Not going-I completely agree with you, but at least it wasn't the judge being lax. She imposed the max sentence, so somehow, we need the max sentence to be modified. There are way too many people getting way too many DUI's, and it leaves you wondering-"How are they always on the streets able to continue getting them?" Where's the punishment normal people are afraid of receiving, for driving drunk?" Innocent people die at the hands of drunk drivers every single day, and I can see why now. Barely a tap on the wrist for them. It's disgusting.

• My2centsMay 23, 2014 - 7:26 am

I enjoy reading my paper and commenting on stories that peek my interest. Recently however, I have noticed that another person has adopted the habit of posting comments that include my blog name "my2cents." I will post under another name in the future so the person who has adopted the name can pursue her agenda.

• 5x322May 23, 2014 - 10:25 am

The name My2Cents is hardly original. I'm not shocked other people use the term

• patrickMay 23, 2014 - 12:43 pm

5X322-----IS YOUR LAST NAME 1610

• Snuggle bunnyMay 23, 2014 - 4:48 am

His goal will be to get a drink as soon as he gets out!!!! Which will be in 2 years or less!!! Over crowding you watch

• 2realMay 23, 2014 - 6:14 am

Five years too long! On the taxpayers dime!? Prison wont fix an abuse problem. Shoulda been locked in a non profit alcohol program

• CD BrooksMay 23, 2014 - 6:18 am

This has to be among the most embarrassing not to mention st*pid cases in Solano County court system. This is not as uncommon as we may want to believe and why we continue having DUI arrests across the country. This is precisely the reason traffic enforcement is necessary and a deterrent to other crimes. The penalties are not strong enough or enforced to maximum potential. It is sad to think that some of us or our family may be killed because of this attitude.

• GemmaMay 23, 2014 - 6:54 am

CD-I know of someone with more DUI's than this guy. In court he told the judge he wouldn't quit drinking, so he could go to prison, then be released without monitoring of any kind. After that, of course he continued to drink, and get caught, but that didn't stop him from drinking and driving with a child in the car, crashing the car, and this county tapped him on the wrist, and sent him on his way, so he could continue what he's been doing.

• CD BrooksMay 23, 2014 - 6:58 am

Gemma, wow that's some ugly business! Sure puts a stain on the legal system while endangering everyone else.

• JBMay 23, 2014 - 9:12 am

What a light sentence. Yet people will complain about the DUI checkpoints they have throughout the county. Bet your bottom dollar he will be out in about two years non violent offender.

• BobMay 23, 2014 - 10:15 am

WHAT TOOK SO LONG?

• paqkleaderMay 23, 2014 - 2:10 pm

Mr. Henson first words were "should have stopped at 9"...POS all the way around

• Grumpy GusMay 23, 2014 - 7:13 pm

Let me guess... White guy! -- haiku -- Throw away the key - Before he kills you or me - waste of human flesh

Special Publications »