FAIRFIELD — Not much happened at a brief court appearance Tuesday for a man suspected in the rape and killing of a child, other than a judge giving the defendant’s lawyers two more months to argue why all future hearings and court records in the case should be closed to the public.
The defense team representing Anthony L. Jones – Solano County Deputy Public Defenders John Mendenhall and Melainee Collins – have already had more than a month to respond to efforts made in August by a handful of local media outlets, opposing the effort to try to bar the case from public scrutiny.
Instead, the pair of defense attorneys, without much in the way of explanation, said they needed more time. Mendenhall also said the attorneys were not yet ready to schedule a probable cause hearing in Jones’ case, which began with his arrest in February.
Judge E. Bradley Nelson ordered Jones back to court Nov. 18. Nelson previously said he may schedule a probable cause hearing in February 2014, more than a year after the nude body of Genelle Conway-Allen was discovered dumped in Allan Witt Park on the morning of Feb. 1.
Jones, 32, has pleaded not guilty to a murder charge and has denied three special circumstances, which make him eligible for the death penalty.
Reach Jess Sullivan at 427-6919 or email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jsullivandr.