FAIRFIELD — Attorneys for the Fairfield man accused of raping, sodomizing and strangling a 13-year-old girl said Tuesday they will try to get Solano County prosecutors removed from the case because of the growing controversy about the Solano County Sheriff-Coroner’s Office.
Attorneys also said they believe the District Attorney’s Office is still hiding details concerning several homicide autopsies conducted by Dr. Susan Hogan. Information about Hogan’s work was given to defense attorneys by order of a Solano County judge.
One of the two defense attorneys for Anthony L. Jones said hundreds of pages of documents about Hogan recently turned over by the District Attorney’s Office reveal a pattern of misconduct by prosecutors. That misconduct, the attorney said, was failure to disclose information and withholding witness statements.
Jones is accused of killing Genelle Conway-Allen before dumping her nude body in Allan Witt Park on the morning of Feb. 1, 2013. He has pleaded not guilty.
On the day before Jones’ arrest, Hogan sent a graphic email to a prosecutor, saying, “just between you and me” the girl’s strangulation may have been accidental and during consensual sex.
That email was not shared with defense attorneys, as required by law, for seven months and sparked the recent revelations that Hogan had been under investigation by top Sheriff’s Office officials for months, who were scrutinizing her competency and the accuracy of her autopsy findings. That internal affairs investigation culminated with Hogan’s abrupt departure from the Sheriff’s Office in December 2013 – a departure she has labeled a firing and that Sheriff’s Office officials have called a retirement.
Judge E. Bradley Nelson, who recently refused to throw out the Jones’ case because of the email, ordered more than 600 pages of documents from the investigation about Hogan be given to Jones’ defense attorneys. Nelson also ordered that recordings made by Hogan during four out of five autopsies, including Conway-Allen’s, be turned over to defense attorneys.
A lawyer for the county told Nelson that Sheriff’s Office officials were surprised that the recordings existed.
In addition to Conway-Allen’s autopsy recording, the recordings included in the Hogan documents are for:
Nelson did not give defense attorneys the autopsy recording in the case of Ernesto Castillo. In November 2012, Hogan deemed Castillo’s fatal gunshot wound to the head a suicide. Vacaville police had arrested Roberto Revelo on suspicion of murder, but he was later released.
Nelson said the scope of his court order for the Hogan document release was more sweeping than the order made last week by the judge in the Daniels’ case.
Daniels’ case is set to be in court Thursday, when further details about the Hogan controversy and possible linkages to the District Attorney’s Office may be revealed.
Reach Jess Sullivan at 427-6919 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jsullivandr.