Friday, October 24, 2014

‘I didn’t do it,’ Cooper says of attacking Fairfield officer

From page A3 | April 04, 2014 |

FAIRFIELD — The 22-year-old man who may face felony changes for his alleged attack on a Fairfield police officer says he’s being made an example of problems at Lee Bell Park and that he only slapped the officer’s hand after police approached him.

“That is the only time I touched him,” Blake Brandon Cooper said of the March 4 incident that ended in his arrest.

The Solano County District Attorney’s Office has filed a motion to amend the criminal complaint against Cooper and add three felony charges that include battery resulting in an injury to an officer and resisting arrest resulting in an injury to an officer. Cooper has already been charged with three misdemeanors.

The District Attorney’s Office’s motion was continued Thursday in Solano County Superior Court to April 22.

Cooper said in a phone interview after the hearing that officers approached him aggressively at the park and that he told them he has mental disabilities.

“After they grabbed me I flipped out,” Cooper said.

He said a police dog bit him on the left leg and he was unable to walk for a week.

“I shake in my sleep,” he said of the encounter with the canine. “I have nightmares.”

The left leg the dog bit was injured in 2008 while snowboarding at Donner Ski Ranch and required surgery and 10 screws, Cooper said.

Going to Lee Bell Park, the site of city attempts to improve conditions after complaints by residents about problems involving homeless people at the park, is not illegal, he said.

“I’ve never caused problems for anybody at that park,” Cooper said.

“I used to live down the street,” he said. “I go there to chill.”

Fairfield City Council John Mraz has said Cooper should face felony charges and if convicted, be sent to state prison.

“Prison is for people who are kicking down doors and robbing people,” said Cooper, who described himself as laid back. “I don’t like drama, fights,” he said.

He spoke about being a Vanden High School graduate, working in Texas at several jobs before returning to Fairfield in November 2013. He said he pleaded guilty to criminal trespassing and spent two weeks in the Williamson County Jail in Texas because his name wasn’t on the lease where he was living.

Cooper, who is staying with friends in Fairfield, called the prospect of prison for the March 4 incident ridiculous, but said he’s prepared.

“I can handle it,” he said. “I shouldn’t have to.”

Reach Ryan McCarthy at 427-6935 or rmccarthy@dailyrepublic.net.

• Skeptic ScroogeApril 04, 2014 - 6:56 am

Mental disability is no excuse for assaulting an officer. If you have the mental capacity to control your body well enough to snowboard, you can control your hands from hitting others. And if you cannot control your hands from hitting others, then you should be behind bars, or without hands. And the Great Book says, if thine hand offendeth thee, cut it off!

• LarryApril 04, 2014 - 9:39 am

Skeptic Scrooge, Mental disability is a mental condition. You should educate yourself on this.

• BlakeApril 15, 2014 - 5:12 pm

So let's cut the hands off of the people who your right are right minded in the head enough to inform someone they just harassed you and when they continued to and use excessive force as stated during the bearing go on YouTube and see educate yourself on how cops actually are from time to time. I defended myself by flaring after they tried to punch me and man handle me so if fear for your freedoms and trying to inform a cop of their wrong doing is a crime I'm a criminal if its being an American to educate someone on how they are treating another call me a patriot.

• Rich GiddensApril 04, 2014 - 7:00 am

Lets see the video and audio. What were the cop complainer's injuries? Does the cop have any emergency room or doctor's report's, photos, workman comp or insurance claims? Or is this another example of the DA grandstanding and coaching witness testimony again?

• Texas Justice TimeApril 04, 2014 - 7:07 am

Perfect example of why CA needs to crack down on criminals. Right here this one says things got too hot in Texas after he got a whiff of Texas justice he took the next bus out of there. This guy needs more than a slap on the wrist! He says he used to stay down the street, what, at Mission Solano or the new homeless camp on Broadway?

• BlakeApril 15, 2014 - 4:49 pm

With my foster brother off Oregonsir know who your talk ok my about

• BlakeApril 15, 2014 - 4:59 pm

Dang auto correct you know what I meant know who you are speaking of before you speak on their intentions. Plus texas justice the fact I spent all my hard earned money on places in Texas and because I wasn't on the lease because my girlfriend got the apartment a week b4 I showed up and people were jealous we had a solid relationship and they were peoples toys your justice system locked up an innocent man who had to plead guilty only to get out of your jail and continue trying to make it in this world and when people started trying to fight me and my pregnant girlfriend yea I did what a man does and protected his family (my unborn and babies mother) and yourlucky I didn't sue in the car accident that almost killed my unborn baby and babies mother because of someone else's sudden brake and wait instead of getting in the turn lane while cars are going 45 mph so who's justice for finally saying I've had it are you pulling for

• BlakeApril 17, 2014 - 9:05 pm

Plus I got locked up in Texas three days before my 22nd birthday out of spit we were good all had jobs my 3d smart system from working at best buy was to show up on that day and people tried to send me to jail steal my system and stop me from succeeding again because we protested to roommates your born and raised residents who paid 25 each and us 50 wanted to party every week at our apartment. Some fun ok fights arguments broken property and them finally saying Blake your the man do something, it's your guest not mine after this the party situations shut down. Now we have prom queen young lady who calls herself princess mad at Blake and because of alliances with I'll friend's some find a way to hinder a young man and have a system that is meant for rehabilitation set another youth back in a timeless struggle. If you can't tell Texas justice I don't get you.

• BobApril 04, 2014 - 8:16 am

What good does it do to crack down and send them to prison as Maraz says because Brown will just ship em back to us

• Tammi BowersApril 04, 2014 - 8:31 am

I personally know him and he really wouldnt purposely harm a fly.This is a terrible incident that went bad. He truly doesnt need prison time for this .With all these recent unsolved murders here in Fairfield, i really think they need to focus there attention on those people still out there that MURDERED my nephew in jan!This young man isnt a hardened criminal. He made a bad mistake

• mescApril 04, 2014 - 8:55 am

Attacking an officer of the law is not a "mistake", it is a CRIME. As is attacking another else. You have a deficiency in the ability to choose good people as friends. It speaks volumes about you. If you were a friend to the perp you would not defend lawless actions of violence but help him with his destructive behavior. I suggest you are a friend to no one.

• BlakeApril 15, 2014 - 5:37 pm

Protecting yourself against an attacking anyone should be a crime and in this day protecting yourself is a right not a privilege when the cops harassed me I informed them they unstructured my justice I didn't "attack" an officer what does attack mean to you physically move with intent to cause harm oh like a cock back of your arm officer Garcia causing an already stated paranoid schizophrenic to question why he was being harassed after he tried to hit me I flipped out by wiggling out of my shirt and trying to run to which they tazered me beat me tazed me some more and then sucked the dog on me causing them to say they were harmed so the amount of force was needed which they both know wasn't. Criminals people who commit crimes knowing it's illegal ok hate them all you want but as for the 1% who wrong place wrong time wrong cops happens I mean the cops don't know me out here like that for a reason as Sammie said I am a good person yes sirs and mamas and opening doors for people n that's to start then you have me who I am I'm sure the cop hates a lot of the Fairfield people but that's no reason to do what he did n lie about an injury he laughed as he explained what happened to the officer that relieved him at the hospital what kind of a person does that after you let a dog do what it did and allowed me to scream for my life in front of groups of young boys the cops were wrong is my point but who listens Mr Blake Cooper

• BlakeApril 15, 2014 - 5:43 pm

Who are you to say how I am you don't even know what the cop said to me how they acted or anything shows how you are talking about mot just someone but a woman and the way you talked about her you would think you would show some class when addressing someone you are worse then the cops in your people's skills and it shows your abilities.

• Hmm...April 04, 2014 - 4:39 pm

If you hit an officer (in the face, body or hand) prison is where you belong. If you cannot control yourself, go to prison and allow others to control you.... Your mommy is no longer the boss of you, Mr. Cooper, you are. Adults are responsible for their actions, although our justice system tries so hard to convince us otherwise.

• BlakeApril 15, 2014 - 5:20 pm

Really what if my mom passed away or something. You see this is people. This is why after I almost died a number of times I went into depression. As for talks justice my friend Kevin Gomez the marine who killed himself in downtown Fairfield jail said after coming back from the war and seeing how people treat each other how my dad hits me n debased I'm going to lose it if the cops try to take me to jail next time we fight because I will finally defend myself and if my country's that twisted they will pit me in jail after others played me out to be bad when I was abused and now suffer from ptsd for more reasons I won't be able to take it Blake seven days later he was found dead in his cell we just celebrated new years at my house but he knew the world would never get the whole news only what they think they hear

• MDSApril 04, 2014 - 7:09 pm

“After they grabbed me I flipped out,” Cooper said. This statement to the reporter is not consistent with the claim he only "slapped the officers hand." He's saying right here he "flipped out." So what is going to say, he flipped out and slapped a hand?

• BlakeApril 15, 2014 - 5:06 pm

No I told the reporter after the cop cocked back to punch me when I asked why they were touching me I flipped out and out off my shirt didn't know what else to do when a cop tried to hit you for saying you innocent and that they could test you for intoxication. You don't even know how the cop is hurt the dog had my flesh hanging out of his mouth and all I tried to do was state my innocence to them

• RalphApril 04, 2014 - 11:39 pm

MDS: "i have witnessed this a number of times."-

• BlakeApril 15, 2014 - 5:49 pm

No it should've read I flipped out after cops tried punching me after I confessed my innocence and disability but the other headline looks better for the da don't want to make enemies but the truth is the truth sometimes

• BlakeApril 17, 2014 - 9:18 am

Another thing this has a lot of stuff taking out of context. Not van den high school graduate went to Vanden and North Campus graduated from TECH with Tom Newsom in 2008 a year early still on schedule after falling off a cliff in March of that year. And only after the cop attempted to punch me after stating my INNOCENCE the fact they were looking for someone in a red sweater and I had a red shirt, that they could breathalyzer test me or urine test me and see I'm not intoxicated after they tried to say you look out of it in other words and me explaining I take meds for my disability then Mr. Garcia after hearing my first and still testimony gave me no justice and tried enticing me by saying he is no one to mess with and me still calmly reminding him of my disability. Then their question of is any harassment going on and me reminding him what his partner just said to me caused them to repeat their question after answered my repeat of yes another repeat from there and then them using a tazer a club turning up the tazer and continuing for too long then a dog after I'm laying still you should call the dog off not allow it to eat a person. I had a elderly Shepard not 4 weeks before and always took her to the park she could barely walk up steps but loved going on jogs in the grass and be peaceful. I can't look at officers or dogs the same. As for the you shouldn't hit a cop people how do you feel about cops attacking innocents and trying to hit people after I've told you how I am I mean you no harm as the cops approached I.D. in my hand?

‘The Rocky Horror Show’ finds a home on stage

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

For sale: Solano home with Nike missile bunkers

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Cassette tapes used for music and more

By Tony Wade | From Page: A2

Salvation Army debuts giant kettle for holidays campaign

By Robinson Kuntz | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Industrial space hot, office not in Fairfield

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Suisun City police log: Oct. 22, 2014

Fairfield police log: Oct. 22, 2014

New survey details vast scope of teen dating abuse

Boosters seek to keep Bay Bridge light display

By The Associated Press | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Brown opens up spending in campaign’s final month

Driver attacked after ice cream truck kills boy

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4 | Gallery

$50,000 reward to find killer of Anaheim girl, 9

Video shows bikers taunting California officer

California man guilty in wife’s stabbing death

PTSD argued in case of Marine jailed in Mexico

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5 | Gallery

US tech firm fined for underpaying Indian workers

Suspect in girl’s 1984 killing was police employee

Paintings in national parks spark probe, furor

Lawmakers seek to end benefits to former Nazis

For teen with passport, Syria trip can be seamless

Border deaths drop to 15-year low

Prisoner in Afghanistan to be tried in US

US, SKorea agree to delay wartime control transfer

US officials: Iraqi army regrouping slowly

Gary killings put spotlight on abandoned buildings

NYC mayor: Don’t be alarmed by doctor’s Ebola

NK experts: US must apologize to free detainees

Ebola: A crash course in fear and how it hurts us

Cremation fears leave empty Ebola beds in Liberia

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10 | Gallery

Ex-Mountie hero of shooting at Canada’s Parliament

Canada gunman wanted a passport to go to Mideast

NY doctor back from Guinea has Ebola, 1st in city

News out of Ferguson about what you’d expect

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: A11

Planning Commission not listening to the people

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

Not sure I trust government on Ebola

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

Is America prepared for Ebola or is threat overhyped?

By Ben Boychuk and Joel Mathis | From Page: A11

Community Calendar: Oct. 24, 2014

Today in History: Oct. 24, 2014

My husband and I don’t share anything anymore, including a bedroom

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Horoscopes: Oct. 24, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

Week in preview Oct. 24-30, 2014

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: B1

Review: ‘John Wick’ delivers non-stop action

James Corden to take over ‘Late Late Show’ March 9

‘Rocky Horror’ a participatory treat

By Tony Wade | From Page: B3

Entertainment calendar Oct. 24, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page: B4

Burns’ series gives PBS a ratings milestone

Q&A: Mick Jagger, the film producer, heads to work

Realign the Bulldogs? Not a good a idea

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B7

At 1-all, World Series moves to quirky Giants park

Giants’ Hudson to face Royals’ Guthrie in Game 3

College notebook: Cordes chosen to try out for USA national team

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B7 | Gallery

Homecoming still on but no game for VCS

Compton among PGA leaders at Sea Island

Steve Nash ruled out for season with back injury

Judge questions $75M NCAA concussion settlement

Arizona men near-unanimous pick by media to win Pac-12

Raiders may lose Woodley to biceps injury

No. 6 Oregon looks to extend streak against Cal

The Write Way: KC coach’s lineup cards are artful

Prep football capsules: Week 8

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B9

Manning, Sanders lead Broncos past Chargers, 35-21

Sports on TV/Local sports for Friday, Oct. 24, 2014

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B10

This date in sports history for Friday, Oct. 24, 2014

Honda Fit becomes even more intriguing small car

By Ann M. Job | From Page: C1 | Gallery

Letting your car find a spot and park itself

By The Associated Press | From Page: C2 | Gallery

Zuckerberg speaks Chinese, Beijing students cheer

Cloud business lifts Microsoft’s quarterly results

A blue Christmas for Amazon?

Mark Dean Lindsay