Wednesday, July 30, 2014

‘I didn’t do it,’ Cooper says of attacking Fairfield officer

From page A3 | April 04, 2014 |

FAIRFIELD — The 22-year-old man who may face felony changes for his alleged attack on a Fairfield police officer says he’s being made an example of problems at Lee Bell Park and that he only slapped the officer’s hand after police approached him.

“That is the only time I touched him,” Blake Brandon Cooper said of the March 4 incident that ended in his arrest.

The Solano County District Attorney’s Office has filed a motion to amend the criminal complaint against Cooper and add three felony charges that include battery resulting in an injury to an officer and resisting arrest resulting in an injury to an officer. Cooper has already been charged with three misdemeanors.

The District Attorney’s Office’s motion was continued Thursday in Solano County Superior Court to April 22.

Cooper said in a phone interview after the hearing that officers approached him aggressively at the park and that he told them he has mental disabilities.

“After they grabbed me I flipped out,” Cooper said.

He said a police dog bit him on the left leg and he was unable to walk for a week.

“I shake in my sleep,” he said of the encounter with the canine. “I have nightmares.”

The left leg the dog bit was injured in 2008 while snowboarding at Donner Ski Ranch and required surgery and 10 screws, Cooper said.

Going to Lee Bell Park, the site of city attempts to improve conditions after complaints by residents about problems involving homeless people at the park, is not illegal, he said.

“I’ve never caused problems for anybody at that park,” Cooper said.

“I used to live down the street,” he said. “I go there to chill.”

Fairfield City Council John Mraz has said Cooper should face felony charges and if convicted, be sent to state prison.

“Prison is for people who are kicking down doors and robbing people,” said Cooper, who described himself as laid back. “I don’t like drama, fights,” he said.

He spoke about being a Vanden High School graduate, working in Texas at several jobs before returning to Fairfield in November 2013. He said he pleaded guilty to criminal trespassing and spent two weeks in the Williamson County Jail in Texas because his name wasn’t on the lease where he was living.

Cooper, who is staying with friends in Fairfield, called the prospect of prison for the March 4 incident ridiculous, but said he’s prepared.

“I can handle it,” he said. “I shouldn’t have to.”

Reach Ryan McCarthy at 427-6935 or rmccarthy@dailyrepublic.net.

• Skeptic ScroogeApril 04, 2014 - 6:56 am

Mental disability is no excuse for assaulting an officer. If you have the mental capacity to control your body well enough to snowboard, you can control your hands from hitting others. And if you cannot control your hands from hitting others, then you should be behind bars, or without hands. And the Great Book says, if thine hand offendeth thee, cut it off!

• LarryApril 04, 2014 - 9:39 am

Skeptic Scrooge, Mental disability is a mental condition. You should educate yourself on this.

• BlakeApril 15, 2014 - 5:12 pm

So let's cut the hands off of the people who your right are right minded in the head enough to inform someone they just harassed you and when they continued to and use excessive force as stated during the bearing go on YouTube and see educate yourself on how cops actually are from time to time. I defended myself by flaring after they tried to punch me and man handle me so if fear for your freedoms and trying to inform a cop of their wrong doing is a crime I'm a criminal if its being an American to educate someone on how they are treating another call me a patriot.

• Rich GiddensApril 04, 2014 - 7:00 am

Lets see the video and audio. What were the cop complainer's injuries? Does the cop have any emergency room or doctor's report's, photos, workman comp or insurance claims? Or is this another example of the DA grandstanding and coaching witness testimony again?

• Texas Justice TimeApril 04, 2014 - 7:07 am

Perfect example of why CA needs to crack down on criminals. Right here this one says things got too hot in Texas after he got a whiff of Texas justice he took the next bus out of there. This guy needs more than a slap on the wrist! He says he used to stay down the street, what, at Mission Solano or the new homeless camp on Broadway?

• BlakeApril 15, 2014 - 4:49 pm

With my foster brother off Oregonsir know who your talk ok my about

• BlakeApril 15, 2014 - 4:59 pm

Dang auto correct you know what I meant know who you are speaking of before you speak on their intentions. Plus texas justice the fact I spent all my hard earned money on places in Texas and because I wasn't on the lease because my girlfriend got the apartment a week b4 I showed up and people were jealous we had a solid relationship and they were peoples toys your justice system locked up an innocent man who had to plead guilty only to get out of your jail and continue trying to make it in this world and when people started trying to fight me and my pregnant girlfriend yea I did what a man does and protected his family (my unborn and babies mother) and yourlucky I didn't sue in the car accident that almost killed my unborn baby and babies mother because of someone else's sudden brake and wait instead of getting in the turn lane while cars are going 45 mph so who's justice for finally saying I've had it are you pulling for

• BlakeApril 17, 2014 - 9:05 pm

Plus I got locked up in Texas three days before my 22nd birthday out of spit we were good all had jobs my 3d smart system from working at best buy was to show up on that day and people tried to send me to jail steal my system and stop me from succeeding again because we protested to roommates your born and raised residents who paid 25 each and us 50 wanted to party every week at our apartment. Some fun ok fights arguments broken property and them finally saying Blake your the man do something, it's your guest not mine after this the party situations shut down. Now we have prom queen young lady who calls herself princess mad at Blake and because of alliances with I'll friend's some find a way to hinder a young man and have a system that is meant for rehabilitation set another youth back in a timeless struggle. If you can't tell Texas justice I don't get you.

• BobApril 04, 2014 - 8:16 am

What good does it do to crack down and send them to prison as Maraz says because Brown will just ship em back to us

• Tammi BowersApril 04, 2014 - 8:31 am

I personally know him and he really wouldnt purposely harm a fly.This is a terrible incident that went bad. He truly doesnt need prison time for this .With all these recent unsolved murders here in Fairfield, i really think they need to focus there attention on those people still out there that MURDERED my nephew in jan!This young man isnt a hardened criminal. He made a bad mistake

• mescApril 04, 2014 - 8:55 am

Attacking an officer of the law is not a "mistake", it is a CRIME. As is attacking another else. You have a deficiency in the ability to choose good people as friends. It speaks volumes about you. If you were a friend to the perp you would not defend lawless actions of violence but help him with his destructive behavior. I suggest you are a friend to no one.

• BlakeApril 15, 2014 - 5:37 pm

Protecting yourself against an attacking anyone should be a crime and in this day protecting yourself is a right not a privilege when the cops harassed me I informed them they unstructured my justice I didn't "attack" an officer what does attack mean to you physically move with intent to cause harm oh like a cock back of your arm officer Garcia causing an already stated paranoid schizophrenic to question why he was being harassed after he tried to hit me I flipped out by wiggling out of my shirt and trying to run to which they tazered me beat me tazed me some more and then sucked the dog on me causing them to say they were harmed so the amount of force was needed which they both know wasn't. Criminals people who commit crimes knowing it's illegal ok hate them all you want but as for the 1% who wrong place wrong time wrong cops happens I mean the cops don't know me out here like that for a reason as Sammie said I am a good person yes sirs and mamas and opening doors for people n that's to start then you have me who I am I'm sure the cop hates a lot of the Fairfield people but that's no reason to do what he did n lie about an injury he laughed as he explained what happened to the officer that relieved him at the hospital what kind of a person does that after you let a dog do what it did and allowed me to scream for my life in front of groups of young boys the cops were wrong is my point but who listens Mr Blake Cooper

• BlakeApril 15, 2014 - 5:43 pm

Who are you to say how I am you don't even know what the cop said to me how they acted or anything shows how you are talking about mot just someone but a woman and the way you talked about her you would think you would show some class when addressing someone you are worse then the cops in your people's skills and it shows your abilities.

• Hmm...April 04, 2014 - 4:39 pm

If you hit an officer (in the face, body or hand) prison is where you belong. If you cannot control yourself, go to prison and allow others to control you.... Your mommy is no longer the boss of you, Mr. Cooper, you are. Adults are responsible for their actions, although our justice system tries so hard to convince us otherwise.

• BlakeApril 15, 2014 - 5:20 pm

Really what if my mom passed away or something. You see this is people. This is why after I almost died a number of times I went into depression. As for talks justice my friend Kevin Gomez the marine who killed himself in downtown Fairfield jail said after coming back from the war and seeing how people treat each other how my dad hits me n debased I'm going to lose it if the cops try to take me to jail next time we fight because I will finally defend myself and if my country's that twisted they will pit me in jail after others played me out to be bad when I was abused and now suffer from ptsd for more reasons I won't be able to take it Blake seven days later he was found dead in his cell we just celebrated new years at my house but he knew the world would never get the whole news only what they think they hear

• MDSApril 04, 2014 - 7:09 pm

“After they grabbed me I flipped out,” Cooper said. This statement to the reporter is not consistent with the claim he only "slapped the officers hand." He's saying right here he "flipped out." So what is going to say, he flipped out and slapped a hand?

• BlakeApril 15, 2014 - 5:06 pm

No I told the reporter after the cop cocked back to punch me when I asked why they were touching me I flipped out and out off my shirt didn't know what else to do when a cop tried to hit you for saying you innocent and that they could test you for intoxication. You don't even know how the cop is hurt the dog had my flesh hanging out of his mouth and all I tried to do was state my innocence to them

• RalphApril 04, 2014 - 11:39 pm

MDS: "i have witnessed this a number of times."-

• BlakeApril 15, 2014 - 5:49 pm

No it should've read I flipped out after cops tried punching me after I confessed my innocence and disability but the other headline looks better for the da don't want to make enemies but the truth is the truth sometimes

• BlakeApril 17, 2014 - 9:18 am

Another thing this has a lot of stuff taking out of context. Not van den high school graduate went to Vanden and North Campus graduated from TECH with Tom Newsom in 2008 a year early still on schedule after falling off a cliff in March of that year. And only after the cop attempted to punch me after stating my INNOCENCE the fact they were looking for someone in a red sweater and I had a red shirt, that they could breathalyzer test me or urine test me and see I'm not intoxicated after they tried to say you look out of it in other words and me explaining I take meds for my disability then Mr. Garcia after hearing my first and still testimony gave me no justice and tried enticing me by saying he is no one to mess with and me still calmly reminding him of my disability. Then their question of is any harassment going on and me reminding him what his partner just said to me caused them to repeat their question after answered my repeat of yes another repeat from there and then them using a tazer a club turning up the tazer and continuing for too long then a dog after I'm laying still you should call the dog off not allow it to eat a person. I had a elderly Shepard not 4 weeks before and always took her to the park she could barely walk up steps but loved going on jogs in the grass and be peaceful. I can't look at officers or dogs the same. As for the you shouldn't hit a cop people how do you feel about cops attacking innocents and trying to hit people after I've told you how I am I mean you no harm as the cops approached I.D. in my hand?

Solano County Fair set to open Wednesday

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Marketing study looks at Berryessa resorts

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1, 2 Comments | Gallery

Library teens plan summer reading party

By Glen Faison | From Page: A3

Fairfield tries to end Cordelia Road detour

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3, 15 Comments | Gallery

Caltrans makes I-80 lane change

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3, 5 Comments

Police arrest suspected intruder

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3, 2 Comments | Gallery

Activity is Medicine program coming to Suisun senior center

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Big-rig crash shuts down freeway onramp

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5, 2 Comments | Gallery

Big-rig driver strikes telephone lines in Fairfield

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A6, 2 Comments | Gallery

Icon sends first A5 into the skies on maiden flight

By Susan Winlow | From Page: B7

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ primed for big screen

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Suisun City police log: July 28, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Fairfield police log: July 27, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Suisun City police log: June 27, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Fairfield police log: July 28, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Weather for Wedneday, July 30, 2014

Hamas demands for cease-fire and Israel’s concerns

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 1 Comment

Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed

Fist bumps less germy than handshakes, study says

By The Associated Press | From Page: A2 | Gallery

New California fines for wasting water take effect

California lifeguard injured by lightning improves

PG&E charged with obstruction over San Bruno blast

Chevron California refinery overhaul up for vote

Tuberculosis patient who refused care is arrested

By The Associated Press | From Page: A8 | Gallery

4 charged with murder in death of USC student

Crews make gains on 2 California wildfires

By The Associated Press | From Page: A8 | Gallery

Last crew member of Enola Gay dies in Georgia

Poll: Immigration concerns rise with tide of kids

By The Associated Press | From Page: A9 | Gallery

Shelling adds to mounting civilian toll in Ukraine

US, Europe impose tough new sanctions on Russia

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10 | Gallery

Generation of tanners see spike in deadly melanoma

Senate confirms McDonald as VA secretary

By The Associated Press | From Page: A12 | Gallery

Body of young stowaway found in US cargo plane

Report: Health premiums rose significantly in 2014

Highway, bridge money at risk: Senate to vote

Senate bill would end NSA phone records collection

Liberians in US worry about Ebola outbreak

Top doctor dies from Ebola after treating dozens

Red light camera fate now uncertain in state

By Thomas Elias | From Page: A11

Obscure state agency creates big money problems

By Dan Walters | From Page: A11

Some people have missed the drought memo

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 4 Comments

What kids don’t know would shock you

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 10 Comments

Cemetery support committee thanks sponsors

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

Community Calendar: July 30, 2014

What to do when ‘it’ hits the fan

By Barton Goldsmith | From Page: A2

Today in History for July 30, 2014

I like Liam, but I think he’s interested in another girl

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B5

Horoscopes for July 30, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B5

A do-ahead dinner to make back-to-school smoother

You too can bake artisanal quality bread at home

By Elizabeth Karmel | From Page: B6

A healthy afterschool snack that eats like a treat

Music aside, Queen of Soul is pumped for fair food

Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7, 1 Comment | Gallery

‘Sharknado’ sequel has bite and lots of laughs

By Frazier Moore | From Page: A7 | Gallery

NCAA settles head-injury suit, will change rules

49ers WR Brandon Lloyd enjoying return to NFL

Schaub settles in as Raiders starting QB

Fairfield Indians blank Next Level Athletic to win SRL tournament title

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Mudcats tie Vacaville Admirals

No joke: Kings’ Cousins hopes for Team USA shot

Liriano fans 11 in Pirates’ 3-1 win

Athletics rally for 6 runs in 9th, beat Astros 7-4

Husband arrested in death of NBA player’s aunt

Triple-A brawl results in 11 suspensions

Broken water main floods UCLA; 5 people rescued

49ers sign former Cardinals RB Alfonso Smith

Vin Scully to return for 66th season in LA in 2015

This date in sports history for Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Study: 35 percent in US facing debt collectors

McDonald’s could be liable for labor practices

Food writers subpoenaed in ‘pink slime’ lawsuit

Stocks end lower ahead of economic data

Twitter 2Q results soar, stock flies high