Thursday, July 24, 2014

Former Solano deputy’s insurance fraud case ends in Sacramento

From page A4 | May 28, 2014 |

FAIRFIELD — After 45 court appearances spanning nearly four years, a former Solano County sheriff’s deputy, who faced felony charges in Sacramento County since 2010, was in court briefly last week when prosecutors dropped all charges against him.

Michael J. Oster, 51, was arrested by state insurance investigators at his Elk Grove home in June 2010. He was charged with two counts of felony insurance fraud and since then has been back to court on a nearly monthly basis. Oster posted bail in 2010, which was exonerated last year.

Sheriff’s officials said at the time of Oster’s arrest that he went out on medical disability in November 2007 and then lied about the severity of his work-related knee injury, getting nearly $88,000 more in disability payments than what he should have received.

Oster has said that the charges were dropped after he agreed to repay the disability funds he received and after he agreed to drop a federal civil rights lawsuit he had filed against the Solano County Sheriff’s Office.

Reach Jess Sullivan at 427-6919 or jsullivan@dailyrepublic.net. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jsullivandr.

Jess Sullivan

Jess has covered the criminal justice system in Solano County for several years. He was an embedded reporter in Iraq in 2003.

• Rich GiddensMay 27, 2014 - 6:42 pm

Interesting. Very interesting.

• ACBMay 27, 2014 - 6:54 pm

Too bad he dropped his civil suit the SO is a bunch of good ol boys network

• Danny BuntinMay 28, 2014 - 4:46 pm

That seems kind of odd. Get caught cheating the system, then settle a criminal case by paying the money back. That type of justice will empty our prisons quickly. If I rob a bank and get caught, can I just give it back and then be on my way home. Obviously, I am missing something from this short article. We might have a case of a prosecutor breaking the law, and both of them calling it even.

• fryeMay 28, 2014 - 7:59 pm

Usually these types of deals are made when both sides are worried they may lose in a jury trial. He got a good deal that he would not have taken had he not been a little bit worried about being convicted, and the prosecution got a good deal that they wouldn't have taken if they weren't worried about losing in court.

• Tom TolerMay 28, 2014 - 8:29 pm

At least 5 deputies or correctional officers have been arrested for workers comp fraud. Most cases ended up dismissed and paid for the attorney of the person arrested since they never committed a crime. They were also put back to work in the same job they were in. Mike Oster is a good man and was a good deputy for our county. He was asked to relocate his family and work for us. We wanted and needed his experience in starting a K9 program. The common problem is the people who are trying to please their boss and failing their job and the oath they took. We owe Michael Oster and his family an apology. The county holds the criminal charges over his head until he drops the civil rights law suit.. Now, just who has broken the law here? No agency has any business working a case on anyone on their own agency. Mike, I'm sorry for the treatment you were given. I'm sorry we took the time to administer a oath to people that refuse to honor it. Respectfully, Tom Toler

• Michael OsterMay 29, 2014 - 8:58 am

Mr. Toler thank you for your kind words, Mr Frye interesting that you think I was worried. I was willing to go to trial from day 1, even though I had been offered a misd plea bargain from the Sacramento County DA's office from the very beginning. Mr. Buntin I will offer you the same offer I gave the DR, you are welcome to view all the evidence I have that would have been brought out at trial. I have not and will not hid anything. If I was over paid then I was overpaid and paid back what I was paid. But I never did anything criminal. It is also very interesting that the Daily Republic is not interested in viewing the evidence that lead the Sacramento DA's office to re-think the whole criminal case. I stated from the very beginning that I had not do anything wrong and what I was doing was deemed to have been legal from my workers comp attorney. Had the sheriff's office done an internal affairs investigation at the beginning, when these allegations were brought against me in Oct 2009. (Note I have never seen the reported allegations that were testified to in court during my prelim. This report has never been turned over to me or the defense even thought it was testified to by the lead Solano County Investigator, a violation of my federal civil rights) Also, the Daily Republic did not wish to talk with me regarding the federal civil case rights case that concerns my 1st amendment rights that the County and Sheriffs Department violated and is STILL ongoing in Federal court and has not been dismissed, this is even though the Sacramento DA's office tried to get me to drop that case at the 11th hour in exchange for dropping the criminal charges. After I refused that offer, and I was willing to set a criminal trial date the offer of repaying the overpayment, as if was referred to now by the DA's office was again offered with no strings. Also of note is after I was arrested in 2010 the Sacramento DA's office made an offer that if I withdrew my medical retirement application from CalPERs they would drop the criminal charges. Twice the Sacramento DA's office tried to extort me into dropping or withdrawing things that had nothing to do with the criminal charges that were brought against me. Hopefully Solano County will wish to sit down with me and discuss a resolution to my federal case that is currently outstanding and also discuss a resolution to avert another federal civil right case regarding violation of civil rights under color of authority, brought regarding the criminal misconduct and perjury allegations that I found that occurred during the criminal investigation and testimony by two Solano County Sheriffs Sgt.(The lead investigator in this case was also the lead investigator in a similar case of allegations of workers comp fraud against another Solano county employee that were also dismissed when it was alleged the lead investigator lied, withheld evidence and threatened witnesses. This investigator continues to work for the sheriffs department doing investigations against other employees's.) I can be contacted at justice4oster@gmail.com, and have a book website and facebook page at "Policeing" Coming soon will be a website and facebook page to help clear my name. Again if anyone would like to set up an appointment to view all the evidence that the county had and the evidence I uncovered along with evidence that the Sacramento County DA Investigators uncovered that showed reasonable doubt that I had committed any crime I will be happy to meet with you.

Artists with trowels transform highway wall

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1, 5 Comments | Gallery

Bertani schedules town hall meet

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3, 5 Comments

County court employees rally against cuts, furloughs

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A3, 10 Comments | Gallery

Crews to begin Vacaville slurry seal street project

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A3

Weather for July 24, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: B10

Fairfield police log: July 20, 2014

Suisun City police log: July 22, 2014

Suisun City police log: July 21, 2013

Suisun City police log: July 20, 2014

Lawsuit tests racial policy at California prisons

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 4 Comments

Lockdown lifted at Little Rock Air Force Base

US pushes for truce as Gaza battle rages

Casualty numbers raise questions about Gaza war

40 bodies from jet solemnly returned to Dutch soil

Honduran families deported back to a bleak future

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10, 3 Comments

Is Logue tripping over words?

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A7

Watch out for Bobby Jindal

By Jay Ambrose | From Page: A7

Rick Perry’s contradiction

By Ruben Navarrette | From Page: A7, 1 Comment

Editorial Cartoons for July 24, 2014

Good men lost due to Bergdahl

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A7, 1 Comment

Today in History for July 24, 2014

Community Calendar: July 24, 2014

I resent my husband for not defending me to his mother

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Horoscopes for July 24, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

4-day Comic Con festival kicks off in San Diego

Filmmaker Michael Moore’s divorce is finalized

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 3 Comments

CBS says Colbert keeping CBS’ ‘Late Show’ in NYC

CBS event marks civil rights anniversary

Cespedes hits 2 HRs, A’s hold off Astros 9-7

Big innings fuels 16-1 Expos victory in Area 1 opener

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Raiders start to arrive for start of camp

By The Associated Press | From Page: B1, 1 Comment

Tight end Vernon Davis arrives at 49ers training camp

Pence drives in 3, Giants beat Phillies 3-1

4 Cities to meet with USOC about 2024

Testimony ends in trial over $2B Clippers sale

Playful Pole wins Tour stage, as Nibali marches on

Mavericks’ Felton pleads guilty in NYC gun case

Chiefs, running back Jamaal Charles reach deal

Seattle’s Sidney Rice announces his retirement

Broncos owner giving up control due to Alzheimer’s

Stopping deadly oil train fires: New rules planned

US economy, though sluggish, may now be sturdier

GM issues 6 more safety recalls