Crime-courts

Fairfield police investigate transient’s death as homicide

By From page A1 | January 12, 2013

ChambersJrDavid

FAIRFIELD — Police are investigating Wednesday’s death of a homeless man as Fairfield’s first homicide of the year.

David Chambers Jr., a 37-year-old transient, was found lying motionless in the bushes around 3 p.m. on the 1700 block of Pennsylvania Avenue, police said. A witness spotted the man and tried to awaken him, but got no response before calling police.

Police said Chambers was originally transported to NorthBay Medical Center, where it was realized he had suffered head and face injuries. Chambers was then transported to John Muir Medical Center, where he died.

“We are trying to determine how and when Mr. Chambers sustained his injuries,” Sgt. Troy Oviatt said in a press release.

Rod Malloy, chief operations officer with Mission Solano, said investigators had been by to talk to people at the shelter about Chambers. Malloy said Chambers frequented Mission Solano about a year ago, but they hadn’t seen him since.

Police are now asking for the public’s help to get any details they can.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Fairfield Police Department Major Crimes Unit at 428-7600, the 24-hour Tip Line at 428-7345 or Crime Stoppers at 644-7867. Callers may remain anonymous.

Reach Danny Bernardini at 427-6935 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/dbernardinidr.

Danny Bernardini

Danny Bernardini

Danny is a newspaper man born and raised in Vacaville. He attended Chico State University and has written for the Enterprise Record and the Reporter. Covers the City of Fairfield, education and crime. A's, Warriors and Saints fan. Listener of vinyl, frequent visitor to the East Bay. Registered "decline to state" voter. Loves a good steak.

• Cindi HickenbothamJanuary 13, 2013 - 6:33 am

David is my nephew. My heart is broken as well as the rest of his family.

• Angel ChambersJanuary 13, 2013 - 12:59 pm

This was my little brother. I pray his murder does not go unsolved. To die in such a brutal way is just cruel and evil. I will miss him greatly.

• Laura CalderonJanuary 14, 2013 - 9:50 am

Cindi and Jan, we are all very sorry for your loss. I wanted to let you know that I was with Operation THUGS, the group that ministers to the homeless, and before we went out last Saturday, we all (about 20 of us) held hands and prayed for your loved one. We prayed for his soul and that he rest in peace. May God provide you comfort.

• Angel ChambersJanuary 14, 2013 - 1:01 pm

Thank you, Laura. My brother would have appreciated that. He was attending a church there and I am trying to find out which one to speak with the pastor there. It's nice to know that David wasn't just blown off or dismissed as someone that didn't matter or wasn't important. :)

• Cindi HickenbothamJanuary 14, 2013 - 1:08 pm

Thank you all for having David in your prayers. It does mean a lot to know that others cared.

• SusieJanuary 15, 2013 - 2:09 pm

David was a regular visitor in my neighborhood. He was a kind, gentle soul. He will be missed. I am sorry for his loss and I am certain the FFPD will continue to investigate his death. Bless you.

• Cindi HickenbothamJanuary 16, 2013 - 9:39 am

After speaking with the dectective on the case I feel reassured that they are doing everything they can to solve this crime. I am amazed at the job they have done so far. Fairfield police dept. Are doing an execellent job. My prayers are with them as they search for answers. They have been so kind and caring while dealing with these awful details. Thanks again to everyone for their support and their belief in justice.

• Laura CalderonJanuary 16, 2013 - 3:48 pm

Susie, that was a kind caring thing to say. Cindi, thank you for the update on your comfort level with the investigation- I really can’t imagine how important this is to you. I pray that you or Angel were able to find out which church David was going to so you could speak to the pastor. Strong blessings to you both.