FAIRFIELD — A Fairfield man suspected of killing a man last week in Vacaville was released from custody Tuesday after the Solano County District Attorney’s Office opted not to file criminal charges.
Roberto J. Revelo, 20, had spent four nights behind bars after being arrested Friday. Police continued to work the case.
“The investigation is ongoing,” Vacaville police Sgt. Jeff King said Tuesday afternoon after prosecutors confirmed that Revelo was not going to be arraigned on charges in the Nov. 19 shooting death of Ernest Castillo Jr., 19.
Castillo’s body was found in a trailer at the El Matador mobile home park. He died of a single gunshot wound to the head, which was initially reported as a suicide. Investigators later deemed Castillo’s death a homicide and arrested Revelo on suspicion of murder at his Grande Circle town house.
“He is still the focus of our investigation,” King said of Revelo. “We are dedicated to getting to the bottom of this. Charges may be refiled at a later date.”
The law requires prosecutors to file charges in court against an arrested suspect within two court days. King said police and prosecutors met Monday and reviewed the case and the decision was made not to go forward with the prosecution.
“This is not a surprise with this D.A.’s office,” King said.
Reach Jess Sullivan at 427-6919 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jsullivandr.