Sunday, December 21, 2014

Fairfield cops under investigation for possible database checks on potential dates

From page A1 | August 22, 2014 |

FAIRFIELD — A pair of veteran Fairfield police officers are under investigation for possible felony conduct relating to their trolling of personals dating websites while on duty and possibly using confidential law enforcement databases repeatedly to screen women they found appealing.

The officers, Sgt. Stephen Ruiz and Detective Jacob Glashoff, had their desktop computers, their laptop computers, their duty cellphones and a Fairfield police iPad seized by an internal affairs investigator in June, according to court documents filed Thursday. The equipment was turned over to the Northern California Computer Crimes Task Force, which was joined in the investigation of the two officers by a data analyst with the California Department of Justice, Bureau of Criminal Investigation and Analysis.

The investigation began in June when another detective reported to his superiors that some of his peers in the Investigations Bureau office at 1100 Texas St. were misusing the California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System database. It connects to the Department of Motor Vehicles, and state and federal law enforcement records.

A detective reported to his superior that Ruiz and Glashoff had been on the dating website Tinder.com “while at work every day for what seemed like months” and that the two men were “often having their own side conversations regarding dating sites,” according to the court documents.

A search of the two men’s desktop computers revealed they both were accessing Match.com and that Ruiz was also browsing eHarmony.com and Care.com, court documents reflect.

The detective told his superiors that he recalled seeing Ruiz at his desk browsing Care.com with a split-screen image simultaneously on his computer monitor that included the police database and that Ruiz told Glashoff something akin to, “she has a DUI or is suspended,” according to the court documents. The detective said the incident sticks out to him “because it was in front of everybody” and he remembers making eye contact with two other detectives at that time. The detective also reported another time when Glashoff was on his cellphone looking at a personals website, then looked up information in police database before telling Ruiz something akin to “she lives too far out of the area.”

Another detective reported finding an unfamiliar cellphone at the 1100 Texas St. office in July and finding personal photos of Glashoff on the phone along with screen shots of information from the police database, according to the court documents. The detective put the phone on Glashoff’s desk, but it was later seized and analyzed during the investigation.

The investigation includes the observations of detectives who remembered hearing Glashoff ask Ruiz how to delete history information from his computer, according to court documents. A detective also recalled an incident in June when Glashoff was “panicking about his computer, spoke about his status at the Fairfield Police Department and even talked about the ability to find another job.”

Police Chief Walt Tibbet was not available to comment on the investigation. His office released a statement Thursday afternoon: “Information was brought to us, (which) if it were to be true, could be criminal in nature. Out of fairness and individuals’ rights and to maintain organizational integrity, an investigation was begun by another law enforcement entity for the possible criminal aspects.”

Capt. Darrin Moody acknowledged the investigation was ongoing and that both Ruiz and Glashoff remain assigned to their regular duties.

“Generally speaking, the department has a mechanism in place to investigate allegations of misconduct. Per the Government Code, we can’t discuss specific cases,” Moody said.

A check of every California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System search done by Ruiz and Glashoff between Jan. 1 and June 25 revealed that “several” – but not all – of the female names searched were listed in legitimate Fairfield police documents such as search warrants and operation plans,” according to the court documents. An in-house search of the department’s own database found all female names searched by both men were listed as arrestees, witnesses or registered owners of vehicles.

Illegal use of the police database can result in a maximum four-year prison sentence.

Reach Jess Sullivan at 427-6919 or jsullivan@dailyrepublic.net. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jsullivandr.

Jess Sullivan

Jess has covered the criminal justice system in Solano County for several years. He was an embedded reporter in Iraq in 2003.

• Christine in FFAugust 21, 2014 - 10:16 pm

Sure hope these officers aren't married men! If they are~ probably won't be for much longer!

• Bill of RightsAugust 22, 2014 - 1:09 am

Great!

• rahAugust 22, 2014 - 4:48 am

Its about time they got busted.Keep all that in the newspaper dont put that news under the carpet.Instead of fighting crime they was looking for women.Thats where the tax payers money go.

• 2realAugust 22, 2014 - 5:34 am

Happened in june and were just now hearing about it? Ffpd is as crooked as they come. And daily republics in cahoots with them.

• Waste of timeAugust 22, 2014 - 5:50 am

What a waste of resources. Who DOESN'T use company computers for personal use sometimes?? Just about everybody I know has been on Facebook, pay bills, send personal emails, blog, twitter, etc, etc. so what?? I don't get. By the investigation own virtue it said the govt database searches were legit. So whats the news???

• BeeboAugust 22, 2014 - 8:12 am

It's this thing called ethics. It's also against the law, in case you missed that part. You see, we need to hold these police officers to higher standards than we do the average joe.

• agreeAugust 22, 2014 - 6:21 am

I WISH I COULD DO THAT LOL EVERYONE HAS A RIGHT TO KNOW WHO'S CRAZY N THESE OFFICERS WERENT DOIN NOTHING WRONG KINDA STUPID THO HEY PEOPLE NEXT TIME USE PERSONAL ITEMS N THEN DO CHECKS LOL I AGREE THIS IS A WASTE OF TIME

• Time to surf the web?....August 22, 2014 - 6:44 am

Meanwhile back in the Hood....

• NoDoubtAbout ItAugust 22, 2014 - 10:08 am

Since you so worried about the Hood.. We over here laughing at you dummies... How dumb is it to catch a felony because you want to look new booty because you're bored with your fat wives and lame existence? Lol.. THIS PROVES that FFPD has nothing better to do except go and pick on poor people in the hood. So in an effort to take away the attention from the FELONIES committed by their counterparts on Match.com.. You throw out Meanwhile in the hood?! Haha, Meanwhile at the station after the donut eating contest you sit around on FB and ruin your lives and careers over some coochie you were never gonna get in the first place

• Bill of RightsAugust 22, 2014 - 10:23 am

^^^^^ Stay in school kids! Geez!

• Joseph D. JoyceAugust 22, 2014 - 7:25 am

This is just the beginning of what's to come... Mark my words.

• BeeboAugust 22, 2014 - 8:16 am

I did what you said and now I have ink all over my monitor. Thanks.

• CD BrooksAugust 22, 2014 - 7:44 am

I am curious if there is a law suit lurking out there? If these women somehow find they've been illegally "investigated," this could cost the department plenty. I get it was inappropriate and unprofessional but a felony? Tough call for me.

• BeeboAugust 22, 2014 - 8:25 am

I don't know, CD. I see the felony in place as a serious deterrent against the abuse of power. I am glad it's this way. I do not trust any cop who is willing to commit a felony while on duty (especially those too dumb not to get caught). One with this mentality is a candidate for blackmailing a woman into sex. Speculation? Yes, but I'm going with "Unfit for Duty for $1000," Alex.

• CD BrooksAugust 22, 2014 - 8:36 am

Beebo, that was my first reaction too so cannot disagree. I also thought unpaid leave would be a better temporary solution while the investigation goes on. I think how tough it would be losing a job and a pension might have affected my opinion.

• BeeboAugust 22, 2014 - 8:42 am

CD, I think the worst case scenario for these two is community service and a transfer. Probably a paid leave (vacation) thrown in to boot. This is a reminder for us to be nice to our coworkers.

• CD BrooksAugust 22, 2014 - 8:47 am

Beebo, HA! HA! Yeah a little Karma played out there for one reason or another! :)

• BSAugust 22, 2014 - 8:27 am

first off, Glasshoff is extremely dirty. He shouldn't be a cop, let alone a detective and both should be placed on administrative leave while they are bing investigated for felony conduct. They shouldn't be at the police building at all where they could be in a position to influence the outcome of the investigation. There was another officer a few years back, Johnson who was terminated from FFPD for the same behavior so hopefully these officers are treated the same. Glasshoff already gets special treatment because of who his family is.

• perreynoidAugust 22, 2014 - 8:34 am

I wasn't that bothered by this until the end of the story, when it said "An in-house search of the department’s own database found all female names searched by both men were listed as arrestees, witnesses or registered owners of vehicles." That makes them, in my mind, no better than a pedo who sits at parks hunting for prey, or stalkers who watch their prey.THen they were using work issued phones, computers and an Ipad? are they that desperate they can't meet women without going to these lengths?I totally get wanting to ck someone out before you deal with them, BUT, that's what beenverified and other sites like that are for. So were these stooges ever looking for crimes in action while on the streets, or just looking for women?? Lastly, this is what I have to rely on to protect me, since the Sheriff thinks"citizens don't need concealed weapon permits,that causes more trouble. They ave to rely on LE." Yeah, unless LE is getting it on with someone they just pulled over for a fake infraction, then I suppose we just have to sit patiently while the crime occurs.

• EricAugust 23, 2014 - 7:28 am

Make sure you comprehend what the story says before commenting. I suggest you re read it.

• JagAugust 22, 2014 - 9:16 am

I thought we all get job perks. This is not one of theirs... Lol

• AlfAugust 22, 2014 - 9:30 am

This is not good news for the officers, department, the incumbent council and the City. This could cost a heap of money, not to mention the embarrassment.

• clancyAugust 22, 2014 - 10:15 am

I work for a bank headquartered here in Cordelia. The repossession officer uses the banks internet half the day to date shop , browse celiberity websites besides spending half the day on personal calls the entire office can hear. The two managers at our site are well aware of this yet if it is mentioned they will claim they don't see it ( they must be blind). I bet the officers superior officers were well aware of what was going on.

• clancyAugust 22, 2014 - 10:26 am

And.. Any employee under these people who would report this to human resources would be harassed by the collection manager. Yet a couple years ago several lowly employees were put on administrative leave and investaged for e mailing each other. Go figure. Where is the justice in that?

• HuckleberryAugust 22, 2014 - 10:39 am

Police Officers' salaries are paid by taxpayers. They have more then adequate benefits. They should be held to a higher standard since we pay their salaries and they carry guns. Making poor decisions like this for months until someone working with them finally reported them. Which, by the way, is not going to make the "snitch" welcome by any of the officers. Remember this incident next time they want to raise our taxes to pay for more officers, equipment, crime units etc.

• clancyAugust 22, 2014 - 11:33 am

Huckleberry true about cops being paid be taxpayers but it doesn't make this behavior any more right in the private sector. A few emoyees at this bank who are higher paid than the rest are costing the bank money and most of us have not had a raise in five years. What I stated earlier is only a small fraction of what a few emoyees do here Yet it never gets to our CEO because the managers SNF even human resources cover it up and allow it to continue at the cost of customers and hard working employee s.

• clancyAugust 22, 2014 - 11:59 am

Mr Joyce . I hope it all comes out and I certainly hope its reported completely and thoroughly in the D/R !

• JimboAugust 22, 2014 - 12:00 pm

People who larf off like this with personal issues while on the clock are the worst employees anywhere. The fact these people expect fat pay, benefits, and pension for the time they waste is something they should be fired for.

• clancyAugust 22, 2014 - 12:54 pm

Agreed Jimbo but its the lower level employee s that are actually trying to do their job that would be harassed by management with the intention of gathering enough to fire the employee if they date say anything. Example: this repo officer had three calls come in in the last hour that she was suppose to take but other employees had to take because she was on a personsl call for over Thirty minutes . this goes on on a daily basis.

• BackDoorBaby!August 22, 2014 - 1:19 pm

As a woman who has been on dating websites this is terrifying. Stalker cops taking liberties to find out my address, etc.. EVERY woman I know would be in the DMV system. I also watch catfish and there are better ways and a court house to do a background if it's needed. How long before these cops put GPS on a woman's car? Are they candidates for killing their families when rejected? I do not feel safe. It's no wonder militias encourage single women to buy hollow tips. Rogue cops violating the safety and security of women. Have they assaulted woman beyond just total invasion of privacy? PIGS - This behavior is why cops are called pigs. Desperate, controlling, womanizing low lifes I hope they lose all that they took from their victims!

• StRAugust 22, 2014 - 1:27 pm

Above was not myself or ME

• Ray J JAugust 22, 2014 - 6:38 pm

You use a username of "Back Door Baby" and you don't feel safe? Maybe if you didn't advertise your rear was open for business you wouldn't need to worry.

• sundevils14August 23, 2014 - 10:35 pm

That is a funny screen name, LOL.

• BackDoorBabyAugust 25, 2014 - 11:22 pm

Yeah that's the problem. Whether my back door to my house my car or my bottom is open is not the issue of why I don't feel safe. I don't care if I roam all day in a bikini it does not give a criminal the right to violate my trust or privacy. So, you can go pound sound, you sound disturbed! These cops are clearly too.

• JUSTME!August 22, 2014 - 1:33 pm

Are there pics of these two lovely losers? Victims might want to know if they talked to them as would their attornies. SMH - and they wonder why they are still single? If they ever were. GLAD, I don't date cops or firemen and this is exactly why. There are no job perks when it comes to violation of rights and privacy of citizens. Colorado looks better and better every day! Glad I stay out of FF, the cops are scarier because they are essentially just criminals with badges.

• What's this aboutAugust 22, 2014 - 1:38 pm

Jesus people relax. You would have thought this was an innocent black man being shot from behind by a white cop.

• JustSayin'August 22, 2014 - 1:46 pm

Valid point. Law Enforcement is out of control. Get them in check or we need to vote the people in office who can't manage to handle rogue, desperate poor excuses of humans. Thank you for letting potentially vulnerable women know. I will pass this to friends who have been on those sights. Ironic you google their pics and biker trash thug members come up!

• Dexter FowlerAugust 22, 2014 - 2:37 pm

So glad Measure P passed so these cops can troll the internet for dates on their taxpayer bought computers phones and ipads. So glad the sheeple of Fairfield were coerced into paying for this nonsense with n unecessary tax hike. WTG Fairfield you make me SO proud!

• clancyAugust 22, 2014 - 3:26 pm

How about we vote in a tax deduction now that our tax dollars have been so misused.

• Just my opinionAugust 22, 2014 - 4:45 pm

I always wondered what the cops hiding behind empty parking lots in their cruisers doing. I don't disagree with them wanting to be safe and choose their company wisely. I wish I could do that. They broke the rules of employment but not of real life! That's where they went wrong. Sucks for them. I look up to cops and know most of them are great men. I wonder what comments a story of "cop caught with wanted parolee woman he met online" would bring. Ppl would say he had the tools to check he should have been more safe! You just can't win! Soumds like the 'observing witness' is a unhappy overweight married gets no booty cop.

• Soooo....August 22, 2014 - 5:47 pm

It's OK for the police to break the law?

• omydarling21August 22, 2014 - 4:55 pm

Oh wow how embarasing! I'm embarased for them reading this! But they weren't supposed to be using the database but COME ON!!! Aside from using their work compurers for personal use, I have no doubt EVERY OFFICER looks uo their daughter's boyfriend, potential love interests, and babysitters just to name a few. I GUARANTEE it. If looking up the vack ground of potential dates is a crime then they have ALL been guilty at some point

• Just a thoughtAugust 22, 2014 - 5:18 pm

Is this part of Mraz’s program to reduce crime, start with his own police force?

• And just my opinionAugust 22, 2014 - 5:44 pm

The amount we tax payers pay for these cops we deserve & should expect a professional police force. If that’s not the case at police headquarters what are we getting out on the street?

• patience pieAugust 22, 2014 - 9:52 pm

While this situation is unsettling. Its good to see that when allegations of misconduct are alleged, the police take the steps to address it. If its found that they were in violation of the law then I'm sure they will be dealt with. This seems like it could have easily been swept under the rug but it wasn't. Now its time to be patient and see what happens.

• StreetwiseAugust 22, 2014 - 10:44 pm

So just how big is Fairfield’s PD broom? Can you get a big rug with campaign donations?

• Mak Z.August 22, 2014 - 10:07 pm

Cop in Oklahoma just ares stead for sexually abusing women. Best stop the rogue behavior now.

• EricAugust 23, 2014 - 7:36 am

I think all you cop haters should post your full names. Then we can all go to Solano court connect and see why you despise them so much.

• NunyaAugust 25, 2014 - 11:27 pm

I don't despise cops. Quite contrary as I have numerous family members who are cops and I GUARANTEE YOU they don't run their daughter's boyfriends, didn't do background checks on their girlfriends and are righteously offended by the abuse of power. They wouldn't say it publicly but behind closed doors to family, yeah they vent about crap bags like this. With so many good, law abiding officers laid off, why are these guys even still employed? Trust me if I were a criminal, they'd arrest even me, it's called INTEGRITY!

• Karlene VerducciNovember 03, 2014 - 10:23 am

Why do I have to be in court connect just because I don't like cops using their position to be criminals? They're worse than any street thug in MY opinion. Go ahead and look me up in court connect in every county in the USA. KARLENE VERDUCCI that's MY name.

• Allison Ballinger KeeseyAugust 23, 2014 - 9:22 pm

wow come on you all do that crap at home on your own time ~

• Keep it realAugust 24, 2014 - 7:34 pm

Police Chief Walt Tibbet has no comment?! Lol. He must be busy trying to decide which head of his two-headed snake arse he plans to respond with. He's gotta go! He got ran out of Alameda County for a reason!

• RichSeptember 15, 2014 - 6:01 am

This is a systemic problem on most job sites (computer misuse). But to personally target people for non business purposes is a "serious problem". System change should begin at the top. Fire the police chief and work your way down the list.

• PPOctober 01, 2014 - 12:40 am

I know many people use work computers for personal use. What I am against is that they took the power and were looking for "good looking" then running them through the criminal database to see if they were a good match? What kind of sicko does that? I think they should have unpaid leave of absence while this is being investigated, so they could feel the heat and learn a lesson. They were not doing their job correctly in the first place. So why get paid to kiss ass?achi

• Solano ResidentNovember 05, 2014 - 9:56 am

Typical police abuse of power. A complete realignment is necessary to reduce their authority and put it back in the hands of the armed law abiding citizen. Police are useless.

The Salvation Army serves 1,000-plus across 2 days

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A1, 2 Comments | Gallery

Blue Christmas service offers reflection, hope

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1

Shining bright for all to see: Locals deck out yards, homes

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: C1, 1 Comment | Gallery

Time for annual Solano County quiz

By Brad Stanhope | From Page: A2

Bevy of holiday activities at Western Railway Museum

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Discovery Kingdom upgrades animal, marine mammal facilities

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

State Fair scholarship applications available

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Get tested, know your status

By Morgan Westfall | From Page: C4

Free New Year’s celebration slated

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5

New development fees start Jan. 1 in Vacaville

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5

New technology chief will join McNaughton Newspapers

By Tanya Perez | From Page: B7 | Gallery

A word of warning for Senator Warren

By Bud Stevenson | From Page: B7, 1 Comment

Fairfield police log: Dec. 19, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 19, 2014

Sky-high price has VA rationing hep C drug

By Tom Philpott | From Page: B10

AP sources: Cops’ killer angry at chokehold death

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 3 Comments

Air Force admits nuke flaws, but will fixes work?

Officials: Missing dog was dyed to deceive

Immigrants build document trails to remain in US

California officer kills teen after machete attack

Police brutality protesters rally at Mall of America

4 teens die in fiery head-on crash in Pennsylvania

2 dozen injured in southern Indiana bus crash

Texas ranchers seeking alternative incomes

North Korea proposes joint probe over Sony hacking

2 car bombs rock southern Sweden’s city of Malmo

Bombings kill 12 in Iraq

US sends 4 Afghans back home from Guantanamo

Panama’s Noriega in prison 25 years post-invasion

Burying the dead after Pakistan’s school massacre

A chance to breach divide for young in Cuba and US

Editorial Cartoon: Dec. 21, 2014

New school finance strategy lacks accountability

By Dan Walters | From Page: A8

Season’s greetings from the Obamas

By Alexandra Petri | From Page: A8

Sound off for Dec. 21, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: A8

Today in History: Dec. 21, 2014

Vatican offers olive branch to US nuns

By The Associated Press | From Page: C3

Why celebrate Christmas?

By Noel Reese | From Page: C3, 1 Comment

Horoscopes: Dec. 21, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: C4

Should I ask grandson why we weren’t included in wedding photos?

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: C4

Publisher hopes to sell books through Twitter

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Chris Colfer has multi-book deal

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Jerry Lee Lewis: Sustained by brief blaze of glory

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Review: ‘Five’ by Ursula Archer is intriguing

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

PUBLISHERS WEEKLY BEST-SELLERS

By The Associated Press | From Page: C6

Interim coaching jobs present challenges in bowls

49ers squander 21-point lead in 4th straight loss

New Giants 3B McGehee eager to play back home

No. 11 Lady Vols trounce No. 7 Stanford 59-40

Eagles near elimination, fall 27-24 to Redskins

Raiders place cornerback Brown on injured reserve

Big moves bring big hope for Chicago baseball

US skier Nyman wins Gardena downhill for 3rd time

Vonn wins women’s World Cup downhill in France

This date in sports history for Sunday, Dec. 21, 2014

Your info has been hacked. Now what do you do?

On the money: 4 ways to hold on to your cash when renting a car

Recalls this week: Bean bag chairs, toy monkeys

Scarecrows outnumber people in dying Japan town

Dominic C. Scolaro