Crime-courts

Bicyclist killed by car in Winters

By From page A4 | March 27, 2014

WINTERS — An unidentified elderly bicyclist was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver Wednesday.

The bicyclist was traveling on the shoulder of Putah Creek Road near Boyce Road when he was hit by a vehicle.

California Highway Patrol Officer Chris Parker said the bicyclist, who they estimated to be around 70 years old, was found around 5 p.m. alongside the road about 1 mile east of Interstate 505.

Officers at the crash scene found small shards of plastic from a broken lens but had no evidence about the type of vehicle that hit the bicyclist, Parker said.

A CHP helicopter searched the orchards and fields in the Winters area Wednesday evening for any vehicle with right front-end damage.

Reach Jess Sullivan at 427-6919 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jsullivandr.

Jess Sullivan

Jess has covered the criminal justice system in Solano County for several years. He was an embedded reporter in Iraq in 2003.

• my2centsMarch 27, 2014 - 6:13 am

Our country roads are beautiful and cyclists and cars share these roads. Some motorists, however, drive dangerously fast on the curvy highways is large groups and present a deadly threat to cyclists and other motorists. Law enforcement should set up speed traps on random weekends to deter the behavior. When I'm driving my car, I take it slow, watch for cyclists, enjoy the scenery, and appreciate how lucky we are to live in such lovely country.

• CD BrooksMarch 27, 2014 - 6:40 am

my2cents, yeah good luck with that.

• Rich GiddensMarch 27, 2014 - 10:52 am

We had a Stanford trained Air Force Reserve flight Surgeon back in the 1980's who almost got croaked riding her bicycle around here. She was a great doctor too. That accident just about turned her entirely into hamburger meat. Certainly got my attention about yet another danger around here---callous disregard for human life by animals around here.

• NickiMarch 27, 2014 - 4:59 pm

Sad story. But in my opinion, bicyclists should not even be allowed on those roads! Not only is it dangerous for them but also dangerous for the people trying to get around them.

• rlw895March 27, 2014 - 5:08 pm

In my opinion, the County should stop trying to discourage bicyclists on those roads by leaving them dangerous. A few extra paved feet on the shoulder or wider lanes is all it takes. Then motorists have to realize they have no more right to the road than a cyclist. If a cyclist still gets killed then, chances are even it was the cyclist's fault.

• Whats This AboutMarch 27, 2014 - 5:51 pm

The majority of these riders have an entitlement attitude. They fail to ride on the furthest portion of the roadway edge and typically never get out of the traffic lane when vehicles are approaching. I agree these bikes should not be on these county roads there is too much traffic now.

• General Fadi BasemMarch 27, 2014 - 6:27 pm

The only way a person should be legally allowed to ride a bicycle on any street or roadway in California is 1) after they have passed a test at the Department of Human Powered Vehicles and demonstrated the physical and mental abilities to safely operate a human powered vehicle on the roadways. 2) After they have applied for and have in their possession a license to operate a human powered vehicle, issued by the Department of Human Powered Vehicles. 3) After they have obtained liability insurance equivalent to that maintained by motor vehicle operators. 4) After they have properly licensed their human powered vehicle with the Department of Human Powered Vehicles. 5) After they have properly affixed a vehicle identification license plate issued by the Department of Human Powered Vehicles. 6) After they have paid a special fee which the proceeds of which are used to maintain the roads over which they wish to travel. Kind of like a gas tax, but since they don't buy gas but use the roads, let's tax these freeloaders too. When a person has fulfilled all of the above requirements, then they shall be allowed to ride their bicycle on a California roadway.

• FedUpMarch 27, 2014 - 7:12 pm

I once proposed essentially the same thing at a Plan Bay Area bike lane boondoggle planning session and Jim Spering, yes, him, had apoplexy. "But what about the children.....?"

• rlw895March 27, 2014 - 9:52 pm

I'm actually OK with all that, but it's not the rule. So what are you going to do in the meantime? Take your frustration out on the road? I fear that's where a lot of it ends up.

• CD BrooksMarch 28, 2014 - 7:44 am

There are several problems with this issue. Number one is a total lack of enforcement giving carte blanche to everybody. The second problem is everyone taking full advantage of that ign*rance and obliterating every law known to man. Then there’s the sense of entitlement and bicycle riders and their arrogance top that list by a friggin mile! You know it, everybody knows it so don’t start with the we belong there too nonsense. I give room to bicyclists at every opportunity but what respect do I get in return? Zero! Why shouldn’t I take advantage of my cars capability on those inviting curvy roads? OH YEAH! There might be a bicyclist out there or two or ten riding side by side giving me the business. Might even be just one out there enjoying the road for the same reason as I, or perhaps a crotch rocket or many riding at extremely high speeds. Rlw895, I hate it when you suggest we drivers “take out” our anger on riders. I don’t believe that is true in most cases. Do they make me angry? Yes! Would I retaliate in a way that might injure my car or their future? No way, never! Motorcyclists are being given allowances that put safety last, why is that? Splitting lanes at 50, 60, or100 MPH is not what the law was designed for. There are signs across the country alerting drivers to give motorcyclists room, nice… entitlement. As a former rider, I appreciate efforts to keep everyone safe but they’ve gone too far. And of course there is the last and most frustrating thing. This entire discussion is moot because there is nobody to stop the activity causing the problems to begin with. If and when law enforcement begins again in earnest, this will stop. Until then, make sure your insurance is paid and ride and drive as you please. You are on your own.

• rlw895March 29, 2014 - 11:19 pm

CD: If you have any avid cyclist friends, try your arguments/position on them. You will get an earful about drivers who act like cyclists don't belong on the road and try to scare the bejeezus out of them. A passenger side rear view mirror whizzing by your ear at 50 mph is a scary thing. Then there is the motorist who starts honking angrily 100 yards back even though you have already moved over into the glass-strewn shoulder. Or the driver who insists on passing you when there is oncoming traffic. As subsequent story tells us, this cyclist was an experienced 70-year-old rider warming up for a race in Davis. It's hard to believe he was being impolite. The driver was hit and run and crashed the car in an orchard after the accident before speeding away. Now who's the bad guy here?

• CD BrooksMarch 30, 2014 - 7:04 am

Rlw895, I understand there are rude angry and stupid drivers everywhere. I wrote a book about it, I get it and it pisses me off. I speak to it daily and you see the responses. Why? Because people need structure, we need to be shown there is a negative financial impact on our behavior. Since nobody is calling us out for illegal activity, we get complacent and do as we please. I get that bicycle riders are a bit of a fraternity and stick together. But the very wide berth they've been given with their practices has grown to extremes and here we are. In the perfect world we'd share the road and be polite to one another. Sadly as I stated, we are incapable of policing ourselves and due to the embarrassingly low levels of enforcement, the behavior will continue. Nobody should die and certainly should not be murdered while driving or riding our roadways. I hope the person that killed that poor man swings believe me. But that alone won't stop the madness...

• Jonathan HughesApril 24, 2014 - 1:28 pm

When a person in body dies their soul goes back to he that gave it. What we feel in this life is nothing compared to the next. Live now like you are there will ensure that you will be there then. Live now doing what you want under the sun worrying not if a person on purpose or by accident kills the body. People killing on purpose will not be smiled upon by God. The next existence will be better than the one you know of now.

Special Publications »