Suspects in the fatal heist at Travis Dairy in Fairfield include, left to right, Dezmon Frazier, James A. Young, Osis Smith, Chelsea Johnson and James E. Williamson. (Daily Republic photos)

Another delay for 5 accused in Travis Dairy killing

By From page A3 | January 31, 2012

FAIRFIELD — It will be at least another three months before a probable cause hearing is conducted for five teens accused murder and robbery and facing the possibility of spending the rest of their lives in prison.

Lawyers for James E. Williamson, 15, James Young, Osis “O Money” Smith, Dezmon “Young D” Frazier, each 17, and 18-year-old Chelsea Johnson were in court briefly Monday morning and agreed to a probable cause hearing on May 15.

The last time the suspects and their lawyers were in court was back in October 2011, when they received another three-month delay for the probable cause hearing.

Prosecutors are trying all the juveniles as adults. They were arrested in June and July 2011 for the June 28 robbery of the Travis Dairy in which the 78-year-old shop owner was beaten and then died.

The five teens allegedly robbed the East Travis Boulevard business of several packs of menthol cigarettes and $60 while one of them pepper sprayed and assaulted Ho Kim shortly before he suffered a fatal heart attack.

At a previous hearing for Williamson, the doctor who performed the autopsy on Kim testified that the shop owner had a 90 percent blockage of one of his arteries, that a stint surgically placed after a previous heart attack was 70 percent blocked and that Kim’s heart was swollen to double its normal size.

The teens remain in jail without bail.

Reach Jess Sullivan at 427-6919 or at [email protected]

Jess Sullivan

Jess has covered the criminal justice system in Solano County for several years. He was an embedded reporter in Iraq in 2003.

• TanishaJanuary 31, 2012 - 10:57 am

I really find it appalling that a doctor would make it seem like Mr. Ho would have died eventually due to the blockage and his heart being enlarged really doesn't mean anything. He was alive and doing fine before these troubled and disrespectful teens robbed and beat him to death.

• T.JJanuary 31, 2012 - 11:48 am

It was asked before but I never saw the response from the Daily Republic, I might have missed it. But why do we need to publish the street names of these little thugs? Like, Osis “O Money” Smith and Dezmon “Young D” Frazier. I'm sure thats not there birth given names. So why?

• CD BrooksJanuary 31, 2012 - 1:45 pm

I emailed Mr. Sullivan this morning asking why is that necessary. He has not yet responded

• tcc43January 31, 2012 - 2:21 pm

Maybe it s an attempt to further define these defendants as street thugs--or help us to at least realize they have an unsavory personality. I can't really see itbas glamorizing these punks. Maybe I am naive.

• tcc43January 31, 2012 - 2:23 pm

Oops. See "it as....."

• Glen FaisonJanuary 31, 2012 - 4:07 pm

@T.J, @CD Brooks, @tcc43: It goes back to the original identification of the suspects by police, and as such may serve a similar purpose at trial. We will all know more as the case proceeds.

• CD BrooksJanuary 31, 2012 - 4:48 pm

Thank you Glen, but that is a pretty much a non-response. My next question would be about tainting the jury pool or giving the gangs recognition? Is it just me, or am I the only one that doesn't get it?

• Gary KatocsJanuary 31, 2012 - 12:47 pm

All I know about this case is what I just read...Kim was in bad health?..Ah well summary judgement for the defendants they walk..You kidding me?..This country may have the finest legal system in the world..but somewhere along the way to perfection we lost our way giving the accused such a wide berth of rights as if to say "innocent until acquitted"..Time for the pendulum to swing a bit the other way towards victim rights for a chance. My sincerest condolences to the Kim family their lives are changed forever,

• khayana wilsonFebruary 02, 2012 - 12:18 pm

i believee street names shouldnt be used , they make it seem like there gang members .. i know osis personally && he wouldnt dare to hurt anything .. && they been throwin off these court dates for a long time . then may 15th is 3 months away when are they gonna say something worth even going to the court date?

• ArtimusFebruary 02, 2012 - 12:28 pm

I don’t see a problem as to why the street names were used. After all, the DR first used their real names followed by their street names. The fact that people choose to be called a street name often reveal something about their character that if a jury needs to look at so be it. Sometimes people complain that there is not enough news and then others complain that it was too much. Let me see; this was a robbery and one of the suspects street name is “O money”..mmm

• sadaApril 07, 2012 - 2:17 pm

In no way do I thinks its okay to do such a crime but I know these boys I'm a very close friend and in no why do I believe these boys wanted to kill that man they are young and a little misguided life in prison is not the answer they are NOT Thugs they are realy nice boys I can only say that about 2 dezmon and osis I wish there so called street names wasn't mentioned I don't use those names & not many do I pray for the family that lost a loved one but if he didn't have those heart issues do you think he would have passed? I don't think so robbery maybe murder no!