3 hurt as Vallejo experiences rash of weekend shootings
FAIRFIELD — Police in Vallejo are investigating a series of weekend shootings that left three people injured. Police said an assault rifle was used in one of the shootings.
- Police received a call at 3:46 p.m. Saturday from Kaiser Permanente Vallejo Medical Center reporting a man with a gunshot wound. The victim was walking on the 2400 block of Sacramento Street when police said he was shot by an unknown person in the leg. The suspect vehicle was described as a newer four-door Cadillac with “54″ in the license plate. The victim was dropped off at the hospital. Police said the victim’s injuries were not life-threatening. The victim was not able to provide any further information, according to a news release detailing the shootings.
- Officers responded to a shooting at 7:38 p.m. in the area of Lofas Place at Tuolumne Street but were not able to locate any victims.
- Dispatch received another call at 11:58 p.m. of shots being fired on the 1300 block of Tennessee Street, but no victims were found.
The shooting spree continued Sunday.
- Police were dispatched at 4:38 a.m. to reports of automatic gunfire on the 500 block of Basalt Drive. Police said additional callers reported a female victim had been shot in the leg while inside a house. Officers said they found more than 54 .223-caliber assault rifle casings in the street. Police said two vehicles in front of the victim’s house had several gunshot holes. Police said two males and three infants were also inside the victim’s house during the shooting. Police said they were not able to locate any cooperative witnesses. No other information on the shooting victim was released.
- Officers responded to a call at 5 p.m. of someone who was shot on the 800 block of Maine Street. A man was walking in the north alley of Maine Street (Ford Alley) when a black four-door Cadillac with 22-inch rims pulled up alongside of him. The Cadillac was occupied by four black men wearing beanies, one of whom pointed a long-barreled handgun at the victim and fired a single shot, police said. The victim, a 21-year-old Vallejo resident, was hit in the leg and transported to a local hospital for treatment.
- Police responded to a call at 5:12 p.m. of seven to eight people fighting in the streets with gunshots being fired. Officers could not locate any victims. Police said the people at the scene were not cooperative. The precise location of the reported fight was not released.
The weekend’s shootings follow a string of fatal shootings in Vallejo in recent days.
A pair of shootings were reported Tuesday – one at 3:40 p.m. on the 1600 block of Fairgrounds Drive and the other reported at 9:30 p.m. on the 200 block of Tuolumne Street. Each left one man dead.
Two women were caught in the crossfire of a gun battle late Dec. 6 outside a rap concert at Dan Foley Park. One of the women died. A man was shot the afternoon of Dec. 5 in the area of Webb and Cedar streets. He died at the hospital.
Anyone with information about any of the shootings is asked to call the Vallejo Police Department at 800-488-9383.
Glen Faison contributed to this report. Reach Adrienne Harris at 427-6956 or email@example.com. Follow her on Twitter at www.twitter.com/aharrisdr.
Adrienne joined the Daily Republic in September 2009 as a copy editor and reports on the weekends. She earned her journalism degree at the University of Florida in 2005 and has worked at newspapers in Fort Pierce, Fla.; Las Cruces, N.M.; and El Paso, Texas. She currently lives in Oakland.