Saturday, January 31, 2015

With recent cat debate, what laws govern cat ownership?

From page HSR2 | August 23, 2014 |

Q: As I’m sure you know, since you write for the paper, there has been a lot of coverage over the past month about some guy who allegedly poisons cats, as well as letters to the editor from people whose cats have gone missing. The numerous online comments to these articles and letters range from, “the guy should be hung,” to “hey, if a urine-making cat comes into my yard it’s dead.” Many commenters have pointed out how inconsiderate it is for pet owners to allow their cats to roam into neighboring yards to go to the bathroom, irritate other pets like dogs which are properly kenneled, and generally interfere with the surrounding neighbors’ use of their property. After a heated debate with my girlfriends over this firebrand issue, we decided to jointly write you and ask what the law actually says about pet owners allowing their cats free reign of the neighborhood. We’d also like to know what a homeowner can do, legally, if they don’t want to let cats in their yard. Sign us: Hoping to Stay Friends!

A: Dear HSF:

Oh boy, here we go! I try so hard to stay away from pet issues because every time anything “pet” comes up, my Monday email is stuffed with “Jones, you animal loving (insert explicative)” and “Jones, you animal hating (insert explicative).” And I’m a sensitive guy!

But after reading your email, I went back and counted. Since July 8, 2014, I’ve received 49 emails on the subject, not counting yours. So here goes.

Let me start with a disclosure: I own a cat. Well, more accurately, my wife owns a cat. I tolerate a cat. But Oliver is a house cat and wouldn’t know what to do if he found himself somewhere without a ceiling.

You would think pet law would be an easy legal subject. Far from it. While there are some communities in California that have attempted to implement local ordinances against allowing any pet to be unconfined, they typically haven’t worked since, as a practical matter, they’re unenforceable. Statewide there is no such law.

Every jurisdiction I know of has a leash law for dogs, but the justifiable argument is dogs bite. So the issue is one of public safety. Obviously that’s a hard argument to make with a domestic cat.

Taking the current news articles first, some guy is accused of trapping cats in his backyard and allegedly feeding them poison, probably antifreeze. That’s got to be a gruesome way to die. Likely you and your friends can agree that’s wrong and should be illegal. And it is.

California Penal Code Section 596 says: “Every person who, without the consent of the owner, willfully administers poison to any animal, the property of another, or exposes any poisonous substance, with the intent that the same shall be taken or swallowed by any such animal, is guilty of a misdemeanor.”

So poisoning is out. There are some exceptions, but they pertain to ranchers and the like, not to suburban homeowners.

By the way, there is a similar section forbidding someone from shooting the cat, not to mention that in every city in Solano County it’s illegal to discharge a firearm or even a BB gun.

So what about the cat owner?

I know of no law, state or local, that forbids a cat owner from allowing their pet to run free. Having said that, there are also no laws that give any special protections to pet owners. Cats are personal property (Legally it’s true! No letters please!) just like, for example, a baseball.

If Dad is teaching little Johnny next door the finer points of batting and Johnny becomes a quicker study than was anticipated, your broken window is the responsibility of the neighbor. Put another way, your neighbor was negligent and, although he’s certainly not going to go to jail, he is financially responsible to you for the damage he caused.

Same with a cat.

If the homeowner allows the cat into your yard and the cat relieves himself on your plants, either killing the plants or causing such a stink that in interferes with your enjoyment of your property, you have a civil lawsuit. In theory, even if the cat causes no damage, you have a suit for trespass that would allow you to go to court seeking a restraining order (not against the cat since most of them can’t read), but against the owner.

Many emails asked if the owner can trap the cat in a Havahart-type trap, one that doesn’t harm the animal, and take it to the animal shelter. Yes, probably.

Here’s the thing – Let’s get back to that baseball.

Let’s say the ball falls harmlessly on your grass and you find it the next day. Let’s also assume you know exactly who the ball belongs to. Can you throw it away? Nope.

You can leave it where it is and see if the owner wants to come get it. Or you can toss it back over the fence. But you have an obligation to make a “reasonable” attempt to notify the true owner. It’s the same with the cat.

If you took it to the shelter and told them exactly who the cat belonged to, I’d surmise you’d be within your rights. Or if you came back from the shelter and told your neighbor what you’d done with the cat, you’d be OK.

But if you just whisk the cat away, the law says you would have “converted” the neighbor’s personal property to your own. In other words, that’s theft. Theft gives rise to both criminal and civil liability.

So that’s about it. It’s criminal to kill your neighbor’s cat. An owner that lets their cat run wild could have civil liability for nuisance, trespass and property damage. And if you safely want to remove the cat from your yard, you need to make a reasonable effort to make sure the owner can retrieve the cat if he wants to.

That’s the law.

As you and your friends continue to debate its wisdom, the best I can do is direct you to your city and county elected officials who have the power enact local animal control ordinances.

Tim Jones is a real estate attorney in Fairfield. If you have any real estate questions you would like to have answered in this column you can contact him at [email protected]

• The SugarJarAugust 23, 2014 - 5:12 am

I'm glad you covered the subject. And I enjoy your column and clear explanations.

• BobAugust 23, 2014 - 7:31 am

Sorry not alleged, saw it, tuna is not green like anti freeze You would have no doubt if you lived here

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possession_is_nine-tenths_of_the_lawAugust 23, 2014 - 8:24 am

Great article as always, and I am not THE LAWYER, thank goodness, since we already have way too many of y'all>>LOL, but I tend to disagree about the analogy concerning possession, that of the baseball (Same as the cat). If that baseball (Or cat) is on MY PROPERTY, it is MINE and I can do with it as I wish (NOT POISON of course). I generally will toss a ball, toy back over the fence, always have, besides I really like all my current neighbors, the best that I have had in all the near 38 years (In Sept) that we have been here, but still, if I wanted to just toss it in the can, (Or take the cat to the shelter), I would darn well do it, since possession is 9/10ths of the LAW, maybe not LEGALLY, but close enough :-), AFAIK!!!!!! Keep your dang cat off my PROPERTY (PETS ANYWAY). Hard to control all the wild ones.

• What's this aboutAugust 23, 2014 - 9:44 am

Take the owners and the cat to animal control. Maybe they will both never come back to the neighborhood. Keep your cats at your house not mine.

• Mr. PracticalAugust 23, 2014 - 11:13 am

In the words of the late, great Rodney King, "can we just all get along?"

• vickidumAugust 23, 2014 - 11:47 am

first of all it is not an "alleged" charge. There is PROOF, photographic and by being caught red-handed in the actual act.

• Glen FaisonAugust 23, 2014 - 12:23 pm

@Bob and vickidum: The specifics are alleged until they are proven true, or the suspect admits to the allegations. It has to do with the presumption of innocence.

• lovemycatsAugust 23, 2014 - 2:36 pm

I can't believe the venom that comes out regarding CATS AND DOGS. Mr Practical I'm with you on that comment.. I have 2 cats of my own, they will not go inside. 1 of them was a stray from I don't know where. This little stray had his cahones still attached. I saw him running about the neighborhood for a while. I decided to get him neutered, since nobody seemed to claim him. So this little guy runs about, but comes to eat at my house. I'm not always sure where he pottys everytime, but I decided to check the 2 houses to the left and right of me and scoop the poop. Nobody in these houses ever said anything to me about it being a problem. I do this so they aren't a problem to anyone. The thing is since cat owners have cats that are either exclusively outside or ones that go in and out, they don't know where they always go. If you see a cat go in your yard and you know who it belongs to, you can always let the neighbor know it bothers you and if they could check the yard ever few days and pick it up. It's not that hard!!! I'm sure the owner of the said cat (or dog) would not mind a bit cleaning up after it. I sure don't mind a bit and I know I pick up alot of other poop that doesn't belong to my cats. This is much easier that have hate in the neighborhood. Life is hard enough without carrying hatred for everyone, especially in your own neighbor....... Our neighbor who lives next door to my parents house had a dog "Buster" who would literally jump over the fence every morning and poop in my parents yard. My dad would, everyday pick it up and place it in the trash. He just did it, not getting angry or complaining about it. And in 2 minutes the situation was over, NO BIG DEAL. I took his lesson and applied to myself and it has made my life better (not because I'm pooper scooping) but because I was being kind to another person. It's sad that everyone would rather be at war with each other instead of friendly. Maybe thats why my father almost made it to the age of 100.....

• Mr. PracticalAugust 23, 2014 - 2:50 pm

lovemycats, I have difficulty understanding the anger some people have regarding a neighbors cat coming in their yard. I have a 17 year old tuxedo that has always been an inside/outside cat. She doesn't go far from the house and often visits our neighbors. I've never heard a word and most of the neighbors love her. Other neighbor's cats come in our yard frequently and we enjoy seeing them. Maybe I've just been lucky when it comes to neighbors.

• JohnAugust 23, 2014 - 6:11 pm

Tim, thanks for a calm and objective explanation of the law. I learned a lot.

Solano County confirms 1st local case of measles

By Staff and wire reports | From Page: A1, 3 Comments

SPCA begins caring for more than 100 rescued dogs

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A1, 4 Comments | Gallery

Top workers, top students – and succulent crab

Partial Fairfield freeway road closure starts Monday

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

DUI patrols set for Super Bowl Sunday

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Armijo students savor catered Fuddruckers lunch

By Susan Hiland And Susan Winlow | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Fairfield police log: Jan. 29, 2015

Suisun City police log: Jan. 29, 2015

Stanford University to get $50 million to produce vaccines

Man charged in California family’s deaths will be own lawyer

Yosemite park fee hikes coming in March

San Francisco coroner says human remains are from 1 man

PG&E releases thousands of emails with state regulators

Judge: Funeral home wrongly sold Lee Harvey Oswald’s casket

Jordan awaits proof hostage is alive after swap deadline

Judge expresses doubt about constitutionality of no-fly list

French fracture laid bare as 8-year-old praises terrorists

US mulls Middle East-North Africa category for 2020 Census

Balloon crew makes history crossing Pacific Ocean

Murder trial begins 35 years after 6-year-old vanished in NY

GOP should plan for post-Obamacare world

By Ramesh Ponnuru | From Page: A8, 5 Comments

Editorial Cartoon: Jan. 31, 2015

Solano College news makes me sick

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8, 2 Comments

Today in History: Jan. 31, 2015

Community Calendar: Jan. 31, 2015

Horoscopes: Jan. 31, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B7

My recently widowed mother is already thinking about re-marrying

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B7

Five ways 3D-printed food will change the way we eat

By The Washington Post | From Page: B10, 1 Comment

List: 10 Super Bowl ads you’ll be talking about

Rod McKuen, mega-selling poet and performer, dies at 81

Miranda Lambert leads ACM Awards with 8 nominations

Shakira gives birth to 2nd baby with Spanish football star

Mustangs ride away from Indian’s home court with 66-60 victory

By Marcus Lomtong | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Hayward, Utah Jazz upset Golden State Warriors 110-100

LeBron returns, Love, Irving team for 44, as Cavs top Kings

Laird leads as Tiger shoots 82 and misses the cut

Seau, Warner, Pace first-time Hall eligibles

Djokovic beats Wawrinka to reach fifth Australian Open final

N.H. Speedway general manager faces lewdness charge

Kings’ Cousins to replace Kobe Bryant in All-Star game

Judge: Jury can watch Super Bowl unless Hernandez mentioned

Blackhawks Hall of Famer Stan Mikita has brain disorder

Ko takes lead at LPGA opener, closes in on golf history

Carroll says decision is Sherman’s if baby arrives early

NFL’s Goodell seeks to look past ‘tough year,’ to future

This date in sports history for Jan. 31, 2015

US consumer confidence at highest level in a decade

Companies steering clear of Super Bowl name

By The Associated Press | From Page: B5, 1 Comment

Danica Gojkovich Ryder

WillIiam “Bill” Hunter

Garry A. Britton

Anneliese Edith (Luckner) Fraser

Anthony Neal Hunley

Frank Z. Perez

Joe Lambert Robinson

Otilia (Tela) Quinn

By Nancy Green | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

Zits

Crossword

Home Seller 1/31/2015

Quirky add-ons a common feature of celebrity homes

By The Associated Press | From Page: HSR2