FAIRFIELD-SUISUN, CALIFORNIA
Owens Street sweeping_Biz Buzz 4_17_14

Workers repair a street sweeper Thursday, at the new Fairfield location of Owen Equipment, who sell and repair sewer cleaners, hydro excavators and street sweepers. (Robinson Kuntz/Daily Republic)

Business-local

Street-sweeping dealership comes to Fairfield

By From page A11 | April 21, 2014

FAIRFIELD — Owen Equipment has turned an 18,000-square-foot Fairfield industrial space into a showplace for street sweeping and sewer cleaning equipment.

It is selling and leasing its equipment from the renovated 1085 Horizon Drive building. The building also has space for service work and training.

Owen Equipment California Regional Manager Ed Hodges listed two main reasons why the company chose Fairfield when it decided to relocate its Sacramento offices.

“Number one, Fairfield is very business-friendly,” Hodges said. “We hadn’t seen that in other cities we looked at.”

Then there’s location. Fairfield is near to the Bay Area, where many of the company’s machines are used by customers.

“Being an hour closer to those customers gives us the ability to respond faster to them,” Hodges said.

Up to 70 percent of the company’s customers are governmental – cities, counties, the state and special districts. The other 30 percent are contractors, Hodges said.

Owen Manufacturing took possession of the Horizon Drive building Dec. 31, 2013, made improvements and moved in March 31, Hodges said. The local operation has nine employees.

“It’s a good business, something we really welcome to the city,” Fairfield Economic Development Specialist Charles Ching said.

Maltby Electric previously occupied the building. Maltby moved to a new location in Solano Business Park at 2350 S. Watney Way, Suite I.

Do you have a Biz Buzz item? Reach Barry Eberling at 427-6929, or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/beberlingdr.

Barry Eberling

Barry Eberling

Barry Eberling has been a reporter with the Daily Republic since 1987. He covers Solano County government, transportation, growth and the environment. He received his bachelors of art degree from the University of California, Santa Barbara and his masters degree in journalism from the University of California, Berkeley.
LEAVE A COMMENT

Discussion | 4 comments

The Daily Republic does not necessarily condone the comments here, nor does it review every post. Please read our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy before commenting.

  • Recent Articles

  • Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2015 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.