Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Bad blood between neighbors keeps noisy wind chimes swinging

From page C2 | December 07, 2013 |

Q: We have some new neighbors who just moved in, and they have hung some loud wind chimes on their patio/trellis that borders our house (the side where our bedrooms are located). I can hear the bells inside our home even with all the windows and doors closed. After exchanging greetings and introducing ourselves, I asked the neighbors if they could remove the chimes since I can hear them inside my house. I invited him to come in our home and hear for himself.

He said it should not be a problem, and as he was saying this his wife emerged from their house. He introduced her, and then asked her if they could remove the chimes. She said no, that she loves hearing chimes. I asked her if she could at least tie them up at night so that they would not keep us awake, and she also said no. Then she started scolding me about how I reported their patio/trellis to the city, and how I created a lot of problems for the selling process (turns out, her sister was the previous owner).

The city made the former owners move the trellis since it did not meet setback requirements. She said that if anyone else were to ask her to remove the chimes, she would do it, but she would not do it for me.

I relayed this information to our homeowners association, and someone called the husband. He said the chimes remain hanging because his sister-in-law (former owner) had issues with me. The woman from the homeowners association told him that he should use his moral conscience and remove them. Needless to say, he did not.

Shouldn’t the association be able to enforce this? The police department said that chimes are a civil matter and that they cannot respond to them, even though they may disturb residents during the evening hours. I have asked these people politely to remove the bells, and because the woman is holding a family grudge, she refuses to remove them. How can I get them to remove the chimes?

A: You could try getting someone else to ask her to remove the chimes.

OK, let’s assume that doesn’t work. It’s obvious there is some bad blood between you and your neighbor. Be that as it may, there are only a couple of ways a C.C&R restriction is enforced.

I don’t know what authority your homeowners association has. Your C.C&Rs and homeowners association bylaws should lay out whether the association specifically has the power to terminate the chimes.

Many, probably most, associations are toothless when it comes to enforcement.

Their bylaws allow them to file a lawsuit, but as a practical matter they almost never do. Usually the expense, coupled with the politics of running an association, prevents them from filing a lawsuit.

Homeowners almost always have the right to bring a civil lawsuit.

But the cost, not the mention the fact that neighbors usually don’t like having neighbors who file lawsuits, usually prevents such actions.

If your association does have the power to remove the chimes then you need to make your case heard. If there are any other neighbors who are willing to side with you, it will make your case that much more compelling.

A strong homeowners association can take care of the problem very quickly.

If not, a lawsuit or ear plugs are probably in your future.

Tim Jones is a real estate attorney in Fairfield. If you have any real estate questions you would like to have answered in this column you can contact him at SolanoScene@TJones-Law.com.

• This looks familiar...December 07, 2013 - 7:30 am

Do you always rerun your articles ten years later?

• S KDecember 07, 2013 - 8:39 am

This busy body should get a life, complaining about nothing, which is why you would never catch my BUTT in any development with an HOA, even though it is to keep things looking nice. People's freedoms also are more important IMO. Unless these are real large, LOUD chimes, forget about it. We have a smallish set on our deck and I made a point of asking our real nice neighbor if it bothered them, because i would have moved it in a moment, but he said that they can't even hear it. Best neighbors that I have had all around me in the 37 yrs. that I have been here, helping each other out all the time, and looking out for each other. Really, complaining about a TRELLIS, which enhances a deck/patio's appearance IMO???!!! Proof this neighbor is a PIA :-)

• FredDecember 07, 2013 - 10:21 am

Really S K, do you know the whole story to chime in like that? I have a neighbor with those large wind chimes (but in the front of the house) that go "Bong", "Bong all day "Long", "Long" & I would not want them by my bedroom window. These people should suit in Small Claims. Cheap, easy & at $7500 should get Chime Lady to sing a differant note...

• sue manDecember 07, 2013 - 2:35 pm

File a small claims suit against your neighbor for willfully creating a sound nuisance that interfears with your ability to sleep thus negativlly impacting your health sue for the max if you can proove in the lower court that the neighbor intened to cause disterbance you could then ask the police to investigate this as an attempt to do harm to your wellbeing or attempted mutrder that could lead to arrest of your neighbor

• Time for some new material Tim.December 07, 2013 - 2:58 pm

This literally happened 10 years ago. The statue of limitations is probably over by now.

• Here's what to do!December 07, 2013 - 9:33 pm

I would put a 4 million Watt Spotlight pointing at their front and rear of their home..then I would play a non stop rabbit distress coyote call all day long, I would then point 8 surviellance cameras at their house, then i would put rotting fish and eggs in garbage bags and stack it next their fence.......I would make living next to me a living hell for them!

• John ShiloJune 17, 2014 - 9:33 pm

I have the same problem where I live. When I bought this house two close neighbors had super loud chimes that I could hear in every room in my house but one. One lady met me out front and said so nicely, "I gave that chime to my son," and I very gratefully said, "I owe you a big one!" But behind me another neighbor has the loudest chime I've ever heard. I received no response from him except that he moved the chime to his front yard, but I will hear it just as loud, it's the same distance away. I contacted the city by email at the site they provide for HOA complaints and received no response. I hate this whole process and have just let it go, but sometimes the wind blows all week long and those chimes are near constant. I don't know how people can be so inconsiderate. I told them that I can't sleep with my window open because the chimes wake me up, and it made no difference. It has altered my life style - I abandoned one bedroom, using it as a buffer, so I don't hear it. I've heard chimes before that were somewhat in the distance, were pleasant and actually soothing, but these chimes are just like loud metal banging together, nothing appealing or pleasant about them. I imagine I will just have to keep living this way, enduring it, seething about it. Truth be told, I pray about it, that God will give me patience and wisdom on how to deal with the situation.

Weather for Tuesday, July 22, 2014

By Daily Republic staff | From Page:

Library friends set spring book sale

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A6

Carpenters training center set to expand in Fairfield

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A5, 4 Comments | Gallery

Man, woman, comic and dance contest primed for box office

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7

Polk first to file for Fairfield council

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A4

Rockville Trails hike on August calendar

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A8 | Gallery

Governor signs 2 bills by Frazier into law

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A5

Video chair exercise class returns to senior center

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A6

2 Vacaville homes hit by gunfire

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A6, 2 Comments

Detroit retirees vote in favor of pension cuts

Clinton: US, Europe should get tough on Russia

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 2 Comments

Gaza death toll rises as truce effort intensifies

Israeli aircraft hit more than 70 targets in Gaza

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 1 Comment

Rebels release train with bodies from downed jet

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia

Afghan vet who fought wounded gets Medal of Honor

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 1 Comment | Gallery

Hopkins pays $190M in pelvis exam pix settlement

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Ex-teacher convicted of pushing wife off cliff

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 1 Comment

Full-contact youth football practices restricted

By The Associated Press | From Page:

BART police enforce stretching ban at stations

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 1 Comment

Report: Retaliation by supervisors common at VA

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Law blocks some brown lawn fees during droughts

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 5 Comments

California won’t send troops to Mexican border

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 4 Comments

Murder charges filed in California bank robbery

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 1 Comment

Cause of deaths in FedEx truck-bus crash released

By The Associated Press | From Page:

California reduces deportations for minor crimes

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 1 Comment

Official: State can send inmates to medical site

Walmart donation benefits Meals on Wheels

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 1 Comment

Batson’s column on Mideast peace is wrong

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 5 Comments

Community Calendar: July 22, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page:

Love and Manson guest on ‘Sons of Anarchy’

‘Fargo’ gets 2nd season on FX with new cast, crime

Box office top 20: ‘Apes’ holds reign with $36.3M

TVGrid July 22

Hugo Perez Elite Training Camp to be held in Vallejo

By Daily Republic staff | From Page:

Duvall, Kontos help Giants beat Phillies

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Lady Vols coach wants a stronger finishing touch

Gail Goestenkors quits WNBA job, enters hoops hall

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Chamberlain’s arm and beard fitting in with Tigers

This date in sports history for Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Big 12 commish’s dire warning about pending change

Big Papi passes Yaz with 453rd career home run

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Chargers bolt into camp with high hopes

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Broncos primed for another super run

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Seattle says what happened last season is history

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Tony Stewart riding high from sprint car victory

Head of 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics resigns

6 South Americans refuse to return to Donetsk club

BMC, Team-Garmin Sharp back for USA Pro Challenge

Tour leader Nibali: A ‘flag-bearer’ against doping

Witness: Sterling needs Clippers sale to pay debts

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Jeter turns small part of attention to business

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Raiders enter camp with ‘chip’ on shoulders

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

49ers start fresh after forgettable offseason

By The Associated Press | From Page: | Gallery

Cain heads to DL with elbow injury

By The Associated Press | From Page:

Microsoft makes design central to its future

By The Associated Press | From Page: , 1 Comment