Saturday, December 20, 2014

Bad blood between neighbors keeps noisy wind chimes swinging

From page C2 | December 07, 2013 |

Q: We have some new neighbors who just moved in, and they have hung some loud wind chimes on their patio/trellis that borders our house (the side where our bedrooms are located). I can hear the bells inside our home even with all the windows and doors closed. After exchanging greetings and introducing ourselves, I asked the neighbors if they could remove the chimes since I can hear them inside my house. I invited him to come in our home and hear for himself.

He said it should not be a problem, and as he was saying this his wife emerged from their house. He introduced her, and then asked her if they could remove the chimes. She said no, that she loves hearing chimes. I asked her if she could at least tie them up at night so that they would not keep us awake, and she also said no. Then she started scolding me about how I reported their patio/trellis to the city, and how I created a lot of problems for the selling process (turns out, her sister was the previous owner).

The city made the former owners move the trellis since it did not meet setback requirements. She said that if anyone else were to ask her to remove the chimes, she would do it, but she would not do it for me.

I relayed this information to our homeowners association, and someone called the husband. He said the chimes remain hanging because his sister-in-law (former owner) had issues with me. The woman from the homeowners association told him that he should use his moral conscience and remove them. Needless to say, he did not.

Shouldn’t the association be able to enforce this? The police department said that chimes are a civil matter and that they cannot respond to them, even though they may disturb residents during the evening hours. I have asked these people politely to remove the bells, and because the woman is holding a family grudge, she refuses to remove them. How can I get them to remove the chimes?

A: You could try getting someone else to ask her to remove the chimes.

OK, let’s assume that doesn’t work. It’s obvious there is some bad blood between you and your neighbor. Be that as it may, there are only a couple of ways a C.C&R restriction is enforced.

I don’t know what authority your homeowners association has. Your C.C&Rs and homeowners association bylaws should lay out whether the association specifically has the power to terminate the chimes.

Many, probably most, associations are toothless when it comes to enforcement.

Their bylaws allow them to file a lawsuit, but as a practical matter they almost never do. Usually the expense, coupled with the politics of running an association, prevents them from filing a lawsuit.

Homeowners almost always have the right to bring a civil lawsuit.

But the cost, not the mention the fact that neighbors usually don’t like having neighbors who file lawsuits, usually prevents such actions.

If your association does have the power to remove the chimes then you need to make your case heard. If there are any other neighbors who are willing to side with you, it will make your case that much more compelling.

A strong homeowners association can take care of the problem very quickly.

If not, a lawsuit or ear plugs are probably in your future.

Tim Jones is a real estate attorney in Fairfield. If you have any real estate questions you would like to have answered in this column you can contact him at SolanoScene@TJones-Law.com.

• This looks familiar...December 07, 2013 - 7:30 am

Do you always rerun your articles ten years later?

• S KDecember 07, 2013 - 8:39 am

This busy body should get a life, complaining about nothing, which is why you would never catch my BUTT in any development with an HOA, even though it is to keep things looking nice. People's freedoms also are more important IMO. Unless these are real large, LOUD chimes, forget about it. We have a smallish set on our deck and I made a point of asking our real nice neighbor if it bothered them, because i would have moved it in a moment, but he said that they can't even hear it. Best neighbors that I have had all around me in the 37 yrs. that I have been here, helping each other out all the time, and looking out for each other. Really, complaining about a TRELLIS, which enhances a deck/patio's appearance IMO???!!! Proof this neighbor is a PIA :-)

• FredDecember 07, 2013 - 10:21 am

Really S K, do you know the whole story to chime in like that? I have a neighbor with those large wind chimes (but in the front of the house) that go "Bong", "Bong all day "Long", "Long" & I would not want them by my bedroom window. These people should suit in Small Claims. Cheap, easy & at $7500 should get Chime Lady to sing a differant note...

• sue manDecember 07, 2013 - 2:35 pm

File a small claims suit against your neighbor for willfully creating a sound nuisance that interfears with your ability to sleep thus negativlly impacting your health sue for the max if you can proove in the lower court that the neighbor intened to cause disterbance you could then ask the police to investigate this as an attempt to do harm to your wellbeing or attempted mutrder that could lead to arrest of your neighbor

• Time for some new material Tim.December 07, 2013 - 2:58 pm

This literally happened 10 years ago. The statue of limitations is probably over by now.

• Here's what to do!December 07, 2013 - 9:33 pm

I would put a 4 million Watt Spotlight pointing at their front and rear of their home..then I would play a non stop rabbit distress coyote call all day long, I would then point 8 surviellance cameras at their house, then i would put rotting fish and eggs in garbage bags and stack it next their fence.......I would make living next to me a living hell for them!

• John ShiloJune 17, 2014 - 9:33 pm

I have the same problem where I live. When I bought this house two close neighbors had super loud chimes that I could hear in every room in my house but one. One lady met me out front and said so nicely, "I gave that chime to my son," and I very gratefully said, "I owe you a big one!" But behind me another neighbor has the loudest chime I've ever heard. I received no response from him except that he moved the chime to his front yard, but I will hear it just as loud, it's the same distance away. I contacted the city by email at the site they provide for HOA complaints and received no response. I hate this whole process and have just let it go, but sometimes the wind blows all week long and those chimes are near constant. I don't know how people can be so inconsiderate. I told them that I can't sleep with my window open because the chimes wake me up, and it made no difference. It has altered my life style - I abandoned one bedroom, using it as a buffer, so I don't hear it. I've heard chimes before that were somewhat in the distance, were pleasant and actually soothing, but these chimes are just like loud metal banging together, nothing appealing or pleasant about them. I imagine I will just have to keep living this way, enduring it, seething about it. Truth be told, I pray about it, that God will give me patience and wisdom on how to deal with the situation.

Creche collection grows in size, popularity

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Handmade Christmas display is man’s labor of love

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Company competition a big win for charity

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Meeting a great role model at any age

By Murray Bass | From Page: B5, 1 Comment

Fairfield police log: Dec. 18, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 18, 2014

Weather for Dec. 20, 2014

By Daily Republic | From Page: B12

Wetter than usual start to new year in California predicted

Hospital to pay $2.2M to settle false claims

Napolitano named as UC public policy professor

Man shocked 20 times during jail booking sues

By The Associated Press | From Page: A3, 5 Comments

Notorious California graffiti suspect arrested

By The Associated Press | From Page: A3, 1 Comment

Island park in San Francisco Bay closed for weekend

California’s bullet train settles 1 of 7 lawsuits

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

Tuskegee Airman Lowell Steward dies in California at 95

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Animal rights activists take California rodeo to court

Bush officials gave CIA wide latitude

Theater shooter’s parents plead for his life

Driver pleads not guilty in pedestrian deaths

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 2 Comments

5 ways to make your email safer in case of a hack attack

Celebrities react to latest Sony hack developments

Sony on shelving ‘The Interview': ‘We had no choice’

Obama says North Korea hacked Sony, vows response

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 5 Comments

AP Interview: Coelho says Sony hack threatens all

Jury rules for Indiana woman in firing over IVF

Bergdahl investigation wraps up; top leaders get briefings

Texas eatery worker gets mink coat from customer

Sugarland, promoter settle with state fair victims

NY police officer suspended after videotaped punch

Prepackaged caramel apples linked to 4 deaths

Supreme Court won’t stop gay marriages in Florida

Staples: Customer data exposed in security breach

Lava could reach Hawaii shopping center in 8 days

Israel carries out airstrike on Hamas site in Gaza

Pakistan executes militants and bombards tribal areas

Franciscan religious order in ‘grave’ financial crisis

Australian woman arrested in deaths of 8 children

Yes, Virginia, the Santa wish list has gone digital

By Petula Dvorak | From Page: A8

Editorial Cartoon: Dec. 20, 2014

If you want to help the poor, fix the safety net

By Jim Tankersley | From Page: A8

Community Calendar: Dec. 20, 2014

Today in History: Dec. 20, 2014

Pampered pets that don duds move to the mainstream

Horoscopes: Dec. 20, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B11

Children from wife’s first marriage put father’s ashes in coffin

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B11

More than 4 million people watched 1st dog telethon

Kim Jong Un game spoof ‘Glorious Leader!’ moving forward

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Marathon bombing survivor in ‘Yes to Dress’ finale

Kid Rock to perform pre-race concert at Daytona 500

Actor Stephen Collins denies he’s a pedophile in interview

Dodge, Vaca grad Mason lead Southern Oregon to NAIA title

Raiders haven’t needed much from Janikowski

AP sources: Peavy agrees on $24M, 2-year deal with Giants

FIFA will not reopen 2018 and 2022 World Cup votes

Howe’s family reports rapid improvement

2 Armstrong associates settle lawsuit with Landis

Rays, Padres, Nats complete 11-player trade involving Myers

Vanden girls open Nike TOC with win on Arizona

Things to know about Friday’s baseball news

Rookie receivers making their mark in NFL

Former boxing champ Ernie Terrell dies at 75

Gold medalist Phelps pleads guilty to DUI, avoids jail time

Dodgers end Yanks’ payroll streak, owe most tax

CIF football bowl games headed to Sacramento

Cal men beat Eastern Washington 78-67 for seventh straight win

This date in sports history for Saturday, Dec. 20, 2014

California unemployment rate dips to 7.2 percent

Chrysler gives in to gov’t, expands air bag recall

T-Mobile paying at least $90M for unwanted services

EPA sets first national standard for coal waste

Sales for holiday shopping season comes down to the wire

Judy Zamora Rogers