Saturday, January 31, 2015

My boyfriend broke up with me, but we end up sleeping together when he visits

Dear Annie: I am a senior in high school. My boyfriend broke up with me a month after he went off to college. We had been together for nine months, and I was devastated. He was my first real boyfriend. He treated me well and cried when we broke up. He ended our relationship because it was his first time being on his own, and he didn’t want anyone tying him down. He said he needs time to figure out his life. He claims I will understand when I go to college, and I am trying to accept this.

Our breakup was amicable, even though I was upset. We still text and talk on a regular basis. I know he has no intention of getting back together, at least not now. I have seen him three times since we broke up, and every time we end up sleeping together. He told me recently that he thinks he is interested in another girl.

My friends say it’s best if I cut all ties with him – no more talking, texting or seeing him when he’s home for breaks. My friends have never been through something like this, though, so they don’t understand how hard it would be for me to not have him in my life. Annie, what do you think? — Confused in California

Dear Confused: Please stop sleeping with your ex-boyfriend. It only muddies the water and makes everything more difficult. He has broken up with you, and frankly, he was right to do so. He’s away at school and wants to date other women. Instead of simply cheating on you, he was honest and ended things. But continuing to sleep with you is taking advantage. You have to let him go. If you want to remain friends, fine, but only if it doesn’t include “with benefits.” You need some space to get over him and move on with your life.

Dear Annie: I’ve never read a letter with my problem: I’m not attracted to my husband anymore, and that’s why I’m not having sex with him.

I have a stronger sex drive than my husband, who will be 50 soon. When we were in our 30s and he wasn’t so overweight, I would initiate sex if he had bathed and brushed his teeth after coming home from his construction job dirty, sweaty and greasy. The problem is that he stopped bathing, and I can’t deal with his significant beer belly and his horrible breath. Also, he has sinus issues and is constantly clearing his throat, which drives me nuts.

I am in good shape, and other men still admire me, which only adds to my frustration. Actually, the frustration is turning into bitterness because he makes no effort to get into better shape. Now I am simply turned off. We do very little together as a couple except eat. I’m sure he blames me for our lack of intimacy.

Please let men know that they can’t expect their wives to look great while they let themselves go. These middle-age issues never occurred to me when I was younger. — No Longer Compatible

Dear No Longer: This is part of “in sickness and in health.” You might find your husband more appealing if he made even a small effort. “Not trying” seems like “not caring.” But it’s possible your husband has some issues with depression and aging. See whether counseling and a doctor’s checkup help. We hope so.

Dear Annie: “Disgruntled in California” said her older sister kept it a secret that she saw Disgruntled’s son eating in a restaurant.

Good grief. She saw her adult nephew eating in a restaurant, and she’s supposed to report this to his mother? Why? Disgruntled sounds like a helicopter sister. Older does not mean incompetent or in need of direction. Their relationship might improve a whole lot if Disgruntled attempted to be a friend instead of an overbearing mother. — Sister Who Knows

Annie’s Mailbox is written by Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar, longtime editors of the Ann Landers column. Please email your questions to [email protected], or write to: Annie’s Mailbox, c/o Creators Syndicate, 737 Third St., Hermosa Beach, CA 90254.

Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar

• G-ManJanuary 16, 2013 - 10:50 pm

Dear Confused..Please stop sleeping with yyour x boyfriend..because I'm more than willing to break up with you too!

• joshJanuary 17, 2013 - 12:24 am

stop sleeping wit ur boyfriend call me

• G-ManJanuary 17, 2013 - 12:29 am

Back off Josh..I was here first..seems like this babe gets around..why can't you just wait your turn?

• Morning JoeJanuary 17, 2013 - 5:11 am

Miss Confused: Do what makes you feel good and do it smart. -next time, collect a toll from frat-boy.

• G-ManJanuary 17, 2013 - 5:51 am

Man!!...if that chick is reading this feed she probably feels quite violated by now..my apologies I can't afford quality escorts.

• Evening JoeJanuary 17, 2013 - 7:25 pm

G-man, as I recall you weren't the one that wrote in for advice. This isn't about your social life or current budget. Consider a low cost long walk off a short pier...peace!

• G-ManJanuary 17, 2013 - 10:33 pm

Presuming Eve and Morn Joe are one in the same..you gave advice.."Toll from a frat boy"?..didn't understand it but that's advice right?...I took the same liberty.."Long walk off a short pier"..huh?...Man I have to say that is clever..You have quite the "wit"!!..When can we see the other half of it?

Solano County confirms 1st local case of measles

By Staff and wire reports | From Page: A1

SPCA begins caring for more than 100 rescued dogs

By Kevin W. Green | From Page: A1, 2 Comments | Gallery

Top workers, top students – and succulent crab

Armijo students savor catered Fuddruckers lunch

By Susan Hiland And Susan Winlow | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Life sentence in 2011 execution-style killing

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A3

Partial Fairfield freeway road closure starts Monday

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

DUI patrols set for Super Bowl Sunday

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Fairfield police log: Jan. 29, 2015

Suisun City police log: Jan. 29, 2015

Another trip to Texas reminds me how lucky I am

By Murray Bass | From Page: B10

Man charged in California family’s deaths will be own lawyer

Stanford University to get $50 million to produce vaccines

Yosemite park fee hikes coming in March

San Francisco coroner says human remains are from 1 man

PG&E releases thousands of emails with state regulators

Judge expresses doubt about constitutionality of no-fly list

French fracture laid bare as 8-year-old praises terrorists

Africans open new front in war on terror to fight Boko Haram

US mulls Middle East-North Africa category for 2020 Census

Balloon crew makes history crossing Pacific Ocean

Murder trial begins 35 years after 6-year-old vanished in NY

Judge: Funeral home wrongly sold Lee Harvey Oswald’s casket

Jordan awaits proof hostage is alive after swap deadline

New lottery tickets come with a side of bacon – scent

GOP should plan for post-Obamacare world

By Ramesh Ponnuru | From Page: A8

Editorial Cartoon: Jan. 31, 2015

Solano College news makes me sick

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A8

Today in History: Jan. 31, 2015

Community Calendar: Jan. 31, 2015

Horoscopes: Jan. 31, 2015

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B7

My recently widowed mother is already thinking about re-marrying

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B7

Mustangs ride away from Indian’s home court with 66-60 victory

By Marcus Lomtong | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Hayward, Utah Jazz upset Golden State Warriors 110-100

Laird leads as Tiger shoots 82 and misses the cut

Seau, Warner, Pace first-time Hall eligibles

Djokovic beats Wawrinka to reach fifth Australian Open final

N.H. Speedway general manager faces lewdness charge

Kings’ Cousins to replace Kobe Bryant in All-Star game

Judge: Jury can watch Super Bowl unless Hernandez mentioned

Blackhawks Hall of Famer Stan Mikita has brain disorder

Ko takes lead at LPGA opener, closes in on golf history

Carroll says decision is Sherman’s if baby arrives early

NFL’s Goodell seeks to look past ‘tough year,’ to future

This date in sports history for Jan. 31, 2015

US consumer confidence at highest level in a decade

Companies steering clear of Super Bowl name

Anthony Neal Hunley

Frank Z. Perez

Joe Lambert Robinson

Otilia (Tela) Quinn

Danica Gojkovich Ryder

WillIiam “Bill” Hunter

Garry A. Britton

Anneliese Edith (Luckner) Fraser

Zits

Crossword

Home Seller 1/31/2015

Quirky add-ons a common feature of celebrity homes

By The Associated Press | From Page: HSR2