Wednesday, July 30, 2014

My boyfriend broke up with me, but we end up sleeping together when he visits

Dear Annie: I am a senior in high school. My boyfriend broke up with me a month after he went off to college. We had been together for nine months, and I was devastated. He was my first real boyfriend. He treated me well and cried when we broke up. He ended our relationship because it was his first time being on his own, and he didn’t want anyone tying him down. He said he needs time to figure out his life. He claims I will understand when I go to college, and I am trying to accept this.

Our breakup was amicable, even though I was upset. We still text and talk on a regular basis. I know he has no intention of getting back together, at least not now. I have seen him three times since we broke up, and every time we end up sleeping together. He told me recently that he thinks he is interested in another girl.

My friends say it’s best if I cut all ties with him – no more talking, texting or seeing him when he’s home for breaks. My friends have never been through something like this, though, so they don’t understand how hard it would be for me to not have him in my life. Annie, what do you think? — Confused in California

Dear Confused: Please stop sleeping with your ex-boyfriend. It only muddies the water and makes everything more difficult. He has broken up with you, and frankly, he was right to do so. He’s away at school and wants to date other women. Instead of simply cheating on you, he was honest and ended things. But continuing to sleep with you is taking advantage. You have to let him go. If you want to remain friends, fine, but only if it doesn’t include “with benefits.” You need some space to get over him and move on with your life.

Dear Annie: I’ve never read a letter with my problem: I’m not attracted to my husband anymore, and that’s why I’m not having sex with him.

I have a stronger sex drive than my husband, who will be 50 soon. When we were in our 30s and he wasn’t so overweight, I would initiate sex if he had bathed and brushed his teeth after coming home from his construction job dirty, sweaty and greasy. The problem is that he stopped bathing, and I can’t deal with his significant beer belly and his horrible breath. Also, he has sinus issues and is constantly clearing his throat, which drives me nuts.

I am in good shape, and other men still admire me, which only adds to my frustration. Actually, the frustration is turning into bitterness because he makes no effort to get into better shape. Now I am simply turned off. We do very little together as a couple except eat. I’m sure he blames me for our lack of intimacy.

Please let men know that they can’t expect their wives to look great while they let themselves go. These middle-age issues never occurred to me when I was younger. — No Longer Compatible

Dear No Longer: This is part of “in sickness and in health.” You might find your husband more appealing if he made even a small effort. “Not trying” seems like “not caring.” But it’s possible your husband has some issues with depression and aging. See whether counseling and a doctor’s checkup help. We hope so.

Dear Annie: “Disgruntled in California” said her older sister kept it a secret that she saw Disgruntled’s son eating in a restaurant.

Good grief. She saw her adult nephew eating in a restaurant, and she’s supposed to report this to his mother? Why? Disgruntled sounds like a helicopter sister. Older does not mean incompetent or in need of direction. Their relationship might improve a whole lot if Disgruntled attempted to be a friend instead of an overbearing mother. — Sister Who Knows

Annie’s Mailbox is written by Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar, longtime editors of the Ann Landers column. Please email your questions to anniesmailbox@comcast.net, or write to: Annie’s Mailbox, c/o Creators Syndicate, 737 Third St., Hermosa Beach, CA 90254.

Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar

• G-ManJanuary 16, 2013 - 10:50 pm

Dear Confused..Please stop sleeping with yyour x boyfriend..because I'm more than willing to break up with you too!

• joshJanuary 17, 2013 - 12:24 am

stop sleeping wit ur boyfriend call me

• G-ManJanuary 17, 2013 - 12:29 am

Back off Josh..I was here first..seems like this babe gets around..why can't you just wait your turn?

• Morning JoeJanuary 17, 2013 - 5:11 am

Miss Confused: Do what makes you feel good and do it smart. -next time, collect a toll from frat-boy.

• G-ManJanuary 17, 2013 - 5:51 am

Man!!...if that chick is reading this feed she probably feels quite violated by now..my apologies I can't afford quality escorts.

• Evening JoeJanuary 17, 2013 - 7:25 pm

G-man, as I recall you weren't the one that wrote in for advice. This isn't about your social life or current budget. Consider a low cost long walk off a short pier...peace!

• G-ManJanuary 17, 2013 - 10:33 pm

Presuming Eve and Morn Joe are one in the same..you gave advice.."Toll from a frat boy"?..didn't understand it but that's advice right?...I took the same liberty.."Long walk off a short pier"..huh?...Man I have to say that is clever..You have quite the "wit"!!..When can we see the other half of it?

Solano County Fair set to open Wednesday

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Marketing study looks at Berryessa resorts

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1, 2 Comments | Gallery

Activity is Medicine program coming to Suisun senior center

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Library teens plan summer reading party

By Glen Faison | From Page: A3

Fairfield tries to end Cordelia Road detour

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3, 15 Comments | Gallery

Caltrans makes I-80 lane change

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3, 5 Comments

Police arrest suspected intruder

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A3, 6 Comments | Gallery

Big-rig crash shuts down freeway onramp

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A5, 2 Comments | Gallery

Big-rig driver strikes telephone lines in Fairfield

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A6, 5 Comments | Gallery

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ primed for big screen

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Icon sends first A5 into the skies on maiden flight

By Susan Winlow | From Page: B7

Fairfield police log: July 28, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Suisun City police log: July 28, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Fairfield police log: July 27, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Suisun City police log: June 27, 2014

By Glen Faison | From Page: A12

Weather for Wedneday, July 30, 2014

Hamas demands for cease-fire and Israel’s concerns

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 1 Comment

Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed

Fist bumps less germy than handshakes, study says

By The Associated Press | From Page: A2, 3 Comments | Gallery

New California fines for wasting water take effect

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

California lifeguard injured by lightning improves

PG&E charged with obstruction over San Bruno blast

Chevron California refinery overhaul up for vote

4 charged with murder in death of USC student

Crews make gains on 2 California wildfires

By The Associated Press | From Page: A8 | Gallery

Tuberculosis patient who refused care is arrested

By The Associated Press | From Page: A8 | Gallery

Last crew member of Enola Gay dies in Georgia

Poll: Immigration concerns rise with tide of kids

By The Associated Press | From Page: A9 | Gallery

Shelling adds to mounting civilian toll in Ukraine

US, Europe impose tough new sanctions on Russia

By The Associated Press | From Page: A10 | Gallery

Generation of tanners see spike in deadly melanoma

By The Associated Press | From Page: A12, 1 Comment

Senate confirms McDonald as VA secretary

By The Associated Press | From Page: A12 | Gallery

Body of young stowaway found in US cargo plane

Report: Health premiums rose significantly in 2014

By The Associated Press | From Page: A12, 4 Comments

Highway, bridge money at risk: Senate to vote

Senate bill would end NSA phone records collection

Liberians in US worry about Ebola outbreak

Top doctor dies from Ebola after treating dozens

By The Associated Press | From Page: A13, 1 Comment

Red light camera fate now uncertain in state

By Thomas Elias | From Page: A11

Obscure state agency creates big money problems

By Dan Walters | From Page: A11

Some people have missed the drought memo

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 17 Comments

What kids don’t know would shock you

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11, 38 Comments

Cemetery support committee thanks sponsors

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

Today in History for July 30, 2014

Community Calendar: July 30, 2014

What to do when ‘it’ hits the fan

By Barton Goldsmith | From Page: A2

Horoscopes for July 30, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: B5

I like Liam, but I think he’s interested in another girl

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: B5

A do-ahead dinner to make back-to-school smoother

You too can bake artisanal quality bread at home

By Elizabeth Karmel | From Page: B6

A healthy afterschool snack that eats like a treat

Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel

By The Associated Press | From Page: A7, 2 Comments | Gallery

‘Sharknado’ sequel has bite and lots of laughs

By Frazier Moore | From Page: A7 | Gallery

Music aside, Queen of Soul is pumped for fair food

Fairfield Indians blank Next Level Athletic to win SRL tournament title

By Daily Republic staff | From Page: B1 | Gallery

NCAA settles head-injury suit, will change rules

49ers WR Brandon Lloyd enjoying return to NFL

Schaub settles in as Raiders starting QB

49ers sign former Cardinals RB Alfonso Smith

Vin Scully to return for 66th season in LA in 2015

Mudcats tie Vacaville Admirals

No joke: Kings’ Cousins hopes for Team USA shot

Liriano fans 11 in Pirates’ 3-1 win

Athletics rally for 6 runs in 9th, beat Astros 7-4

Husband arrested in death of NBA player’s aunt

Triple-A brawl results in 11 suspensions

Broken water main floods UCLA; 5 people rescued

By The Associated Press | From Page: B2, 1 Comment

This date in sports history for Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Study: 35 percent in US facing debt collectors

McDonald’s could be liable for labor practices

Food writers subpoenaed in ‘pink slime’ lawsuit

Stocks end lower ahead of economic data

Twitter 2Q results soar, stock flies high