Thursday, December 18, 2014

My boyfriend broke up with me, but we end up sleeping together when he visits

Dear Annie: I am a senior in high school. My boyfriend broke up with me a month after he went off to college. We had been together for nine months, and I was devastated. He was my first real boyfriend. He treated me well and cried when we broke up. He ended our relationship because it was his first time being on his own, and he didn’t want anyone tying him down. He said he needs time to figure out his life. He claims I will understand when I go to college, and I am trying to accept this.

Our breakup was amicable, even though I was upset. We still text and talk on a regular basis. I know he has no intention of getting back together, at least not now. I have seen him three times since we broke up, and every time we end up sleeping together. He told me recently that he thinks he is interested in another girl.

My friends say it’s best if I cut all ties with him – no more talking, texting or seeing him when he’s home for breaks. My friends have never been through something like this, though, so they don’t understand how hard it would be for me to not have him in my life. Annie, what do you think? — Confused in California

Dear Confused: Please stop sleeping with your ex-boyfriend. It only muddies the water and makes everything more difficult. He has broken up with you, and frankly, he was right to do so. He’s away at school and wants to date other women. Instead of simply cheating on you, he was honest and ended things. But continuing to sleep with you is taking advantage. You have to let him go. If you want to remain friends, fine, but only if it doesn’t include “with benefits.” You need some space to get over him and move on with your life.

Dear Annie: I’ve never read a letter with my problem: I’m not attracted to my husband anymore, and that’s why I’m not having sex with him.

I have a stronger sex drive than my husband, who will be 50 soon. When we were in our 30s and he wasn’t so overweight, I would initiate sex if he had bathed and brushed his teeth after coming home from his construction job dirty, sweaty and greasy. The problem is that he stopped bathing, and I can’t deal with his significant beer belly and his horrible breath. Also, he has sinus issues and is constantly clearing his throat, which drives me nuts.

I am in good shape, and other men still admire me, which only adds to my frustration. Actually, the frustration is turning into bitterness because he makes no effort to get into better shape. Now I am simply turned off. We do very little together as a couple except eat. I’m sure he blames me for our lack of intimacy.

Please let men know that they can’t expect their wives to look great while they let themselves go. These middle-age issues never occurred to me when I was younger. — No Longer Compatible

Dear No Longer: This is part of “in sickness and in health.” You might find your husband more appealing if he made even a small effort. “Not trying” seems like “not caring.” But it’s possible your husband has some issues with depression and aging. See whether counseling and a doctor’s checkup help. We hope so.

Dear Annie: “Disgruntled in California” said her older sister kept it a secret that she saw Disgruntled’s son eating in a restaurant.

Good grief. She saw her adult nephew eating in a restaurant, and she’s supposed to report this to his mother? Why? Disgruntled sounds like a helicopter sister. Older does not mean incompetent or in need of direction. Their relationship might improve a whole lot if Disgruntled attempted to be a friend instead of an overbearing mother. — Sister Who Knows

Annie’s Mailbox is written by Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar, longtime editors of the Ann Landers column. Please email your questions to anniesmailbox@comcast.net, or write to: Annie’s Mailbox, c/o Creators Syndicate, 737 Third St., Hermosa Beach, CA 90254.

Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar

• G-ManJanuary 16, 2013 - 10:50 pm

Dear Confused..Please stop sleeping with yyour x boyfriend..because I'm more than willing to break up with you too!

• joshJanuary 17, 2013 - 12:24 am

stop sleeping wit ur boyfriend call me

• G-ManJanuary 17, 2013 - 12:29 am

Back off Josh..I was here first..seems like this babe gets around..why can't you just wait your turn?

• Morning JoeJanuary 17, 2013 - 5:11 am

Miss Confused: Do what makes you feel good and do it smart. -next time, collect a toll from frat-boy.

• G-ManJanuary 17, 2013 - 5:51 am

Man!!...if that chick is reading this feed she probably feels quite violated by now..my apologies I can't afford quality escorts.

• Evening JoeJanuary 17, 2013 - 7:25 pm

G-man, as I recall you weren't the one that wrote in for advice. This isn't about your social life or current budget. Consider a low cost long walk off a short pier...peace!

• G-ManJanuary 17, 2013 - 10:33 pm

Presuming Eve and Morn Joe are one in the same..you gave advice.."Toll from a frat boy"?..didn't understand it but that's advice right?...I took the same liberty.."Long walk off a short pier"..huh?...Man I have to say that is clever..You have quite the "wit"!!..When can we see the other half of it?

Solano College trustees move back ‘home’

By Susan Winlow | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Needs of small dog give Solano man life’s mission

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A1, 5 Comments | Gallery

Christmas comes early for prenatal program participants

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A2 | Gallery

Jury convicts teen for role in 2012 DeBartolo’s heist

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A3, 3 Comments | Gallery

Police chief: Suisun crime up 3 percent in 2014

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A3, 2 Comments | Gallery

Council OKs $65,730 pact to advocate for Travis base

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Fairfield pays $42,500 to settle soil suit

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Fairfield police log: Dec. 16, 2014

Fairfield police log: Dec. 15, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 16, 2014

Suisun City police log: Dec. 15, 2014

By Susan Hiland | From Page: A10, 1 Comment

US, Cuba patch torn relations in historic accord

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 1 Comment

Fears fanned by hackers bring down Sony film

Like Iran, secret diplomacy leads to US-Cuba thaw

Pope played crucial role in US-Cuba rapprochement

US travel industry carefully eyeing Cuba tourism

US-Cuba thaw could benefit farmers, energy and travel firms

Cubans cheer historic renewal of US relations

By The Associated Press | From Page: A1, 2 Comments

Freed American endured years of declining health

Bay Bridge light sculpture to keep on shining

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4, 4 Comments

Study: Huge wildfire supports need for controlled burns

A fresh setback for efforts to cure HIV infection

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

14 charged in deadly 2012 meningitis outbreak

Study: Alcatraz inmates could have survived escape

Nigerian court sentences 54 soldiers to death

Colombian rebels announce unilateral cease-fire

Russians flock to stores to pre-empt price rises

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

Pakistan buries victims of school massacre

By The Associated Press | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

Crime Witness Protocol 101

By Kelvin Wade | From Page: A7, 8 Comments

Editorial Cartoons: Dec. 18, 2014

Today in History: Dec. 18, 2014

Community Calendar: Dec. 18, 2014

Horoscopes: Dec. 18, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

My siblings don’t want to replace abusive mother’s pacemaker

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

25 movies chosen for the National Film Registry

Saving Private Ryan’ among films being preserved

For MLB, changes in Cuba will take time to sort out

Falcons cruise by crushers in girls basketball

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1, 1 Comment | Gallery

49ers release McDonald amid further legal trouble

Carr faces another tough test in rookie season

Painkillers lawsuit against NFL dismissed; may be appealed

Garcia resigns as FIFA prosecutor

Chattanooga women stun No. 7 Stanford 54-46

Track coach Drummond gets 8-year doping suspension

Warriors’ Bogut out with knee injury vs. Thunder

AP source: Romo close to $15M, 2-year deal with Giants

Baseball monitoring White House Cuba decision

APNewsBreak: Judge rejects NCAA concussions deal

This date in sports history for Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014

Health care exchange sign-ups exceeding last year

Fed to be ‘patient’ about a rate hike; stocks soar

McDonald’s in Japan limits orders of fries

Amid scrutiny, Uber says it will focus more on safety

Ernest “Ernie” Moretti