Thursday, April 24, 2014

Do you hate God?

From page D3 | December 29, 2013 | 27 Comments

It was Christmas Eve as I wrote this and I had been at the hospital since 7 a.m. with a friend who might not make it through the day. It was a sad day for his fiance and his family members who were able to gather together in his room, knowing the memories they had been making with this man would end probably soon.

As pastors, we do our best to comfort those who are losing or have lost a loved one. Most people do not want Christmas to be a memory of losing someone who is very dear.

In this instance, my friend is what we call a “believer,” or someone who has put their trust in Christ for the forgiveness of their sins, with the promise from Him that He will secure their life after death with Him.

This makes comforting their loved ones so much easier because it is a comfort to know they will be reunited with those other loved believers that have gone to be with Jesus ahead of them. Knowing we will see them again brings us great comfort.

I have sat with believers as they have faced death and they have peace. When they have put their trust and faith in Him, the Holy Spirit  gives them a peace that surpasses all understanding.

In the last couple weeks we have seen billboards around the Bay Area, as well as the 40- by- 40 digital billboard in Times Square, asking the provoking question, “Who Needs Christ at Christmas?” These have been sponsored by the American Atheists.

My simple answer is, the family I was ministering to in the hospital. Without Christ, death is a fearful thing. It is filled with sadness and grief because all hope for the future is extinguished. It is easy to ridicule God if you think you won’t die, but the stark reality is we are all dying. It is just a matter of time.

A representative of the atheist movement interviewed on the news was asked whether he was concerned concerning the possibility of offending believers, and he seemed quite pleased that could happen.

Jesus said to His followers in the book of John 15:18, “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you.” In this sentence, “the world” refers to the part of the population that doesn’t revere Christ as Lord.

The word atheist literally means “against God.” Jesus said “you are either for Me or against Me,” there is no middle ground. The Bible tells us “God is love.” We are seeing the real “haters” beginning to stand up and be counted.

As you get ready to start the New Year, ask yourself where you would like to go when you die. Jesus offers eternal life with God the Father and Him. He gave His life on a cross to pay for the sin of all mankind. If you want His forgiveness, you need to ask Him. He loves you.

Noel Reese is the pastor at Calvary Chapel Rio Vista. He can be reached at  www.calvarychapelriovista.com.

• The MisterDecember 29, 2013 - 9:13 am

Do you hate God because bad things happen? God gave us free will and dominion over the Earth. Man exercised his free will. (Eve believed the serpent's lies that humans could be as gods and Adam sacrificed perfection and introduced sin and death into the world by siding with his wife.) It was not God who brought pain and suffering into this world... it was man. Pastor Noel, I cannot hate you for something another has done... and I cannot hate God for something man has done. Thanks for the article.

• CD BrooksDecember 29, 2013 - 11:18 am

The Mister, for somebody so taken in by faith, you sure have some "interesting" issues. I would suggest to you that the notion of a god has given you "free will." "Free will" is not free, it comes at the cost of you believing so long as you practice faithfully, you will be rewarded with a life after death. Good luck with that. To the good Pastor, I said the other day you cannot hate something you don't know or believe it to exist. when a family member or friend dies it is sad because they have likely suffered and now we will no longer have them in our lives. That is what's difficult for me, the rest is of no consequence.

• The MisterDecember 29, 2013 - 1:37 pm

You're a little bit off there, CD. Free will is a Natural Right... in fact, it is the most preeminent Natural Right. As with all other Natural Rights, your rights were created when you were... they didn't cost you anything and you couldn't buy them. Your rights and your responsibilities are two sides of the same coin. You may freely choose one thing over another, but you will be responsible for your choice. Free will has nothing to do with "believing" or any amount of works or even any rewards after one's death. The decisions you freely make will determine any post-mortem reward... but you can freely choose.

• CD BrooksDecember 29, 2013 - 2:06 pm

The Mister, how do you explain your statement "God gave us free will and dominion over the Earth?" Or "It was not God who brought pain and suffering into this world... it was man?" Didn't your god allegedly create everyone and everything? Then there's this: “Free will has nothing to do with "believing" or any amount of works or even any rewards after one's death. The decisions you freely make will determine any post-mortem reward... but you can freely choose. HUH? You are born with nothing and develop through various stages in your life. Certain people in your life contribute to your physical and emotional being. Can't have it both ways. I'll stand by my belief it seems to be working well.

• The MisterDecember 29, 2013 - 3:02 pm

I can understand how you, as an evolutionist, would believe that a person is born with nothing... which of course means that all "rights" are issued at the pleasure of the government or at the hands of violent force. A creationist understands that a person is created with Natural Rights, to include "free will". It does get entertaining to see how evolutionists must contort themselves to explain simple truth.

• CD BrooksDecember 29, 2013 - 3:16 pm

The Mister, whoa what? I never said I was an evolutionist, creationist or anything else. It isn't necessary for me to contort anything. I am quite comfortable in my beliefs. I don't know how we got here, where we're going, don't care and waste zero time thinking about it. We're born, we do some stuff in the middle, we die. Hopefully we manage to do something good for somebody in the process. End of story. .

• FDCDecember 29, 2013 - 11:36 am

"If the solar system was brought about by an accidental collision, then the appearance of organic life on this planet was also an accident, and the whole evolution of Man was an accident too. If so, then all our present thoughts are mere accidents - the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. And this holds for the thoughts of the materialists and astronomers as well as for anyone else's. But if their thoughts - i.e. of materialism and astronomy - are merely accidental by-products, why should we believe them to be true? I see no reason for believing that one accident should be able to give me a correct account of all the other accidents." "One must keep in mind that Christianity is a statement which, if false, is of no importance, and, if true, of infinite importance. The one thing it cannot be is moderately important." by C.S. Lewis

• Former Satanist Tells All (With A Message For Christians)December 29, 2013 - 12:43 pm

• http://www.hangthebankers.com/photos-from-a-1972-rothschild-illuminati-party/December 29, 2013 - 1:43 pm

The moral of the story.....Do not invite the Devil to your party..

• Today Sunday on InfowarsDecember 29, 2013 - 2:03 pm

On this explosive Sunday, December 29 live worldwide transmission of the Alex Jones Show, Alex returns to the airwaves and breaks down the reports of impeachment proceedings beginning in Congress that are now sweeping the nation. The Democratic National Committee is now urging its supporters to vote for Democrats to keep Obama from being impeached. Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) said that Obama's broad usurpation of power is “setting the stage for something very dangerous in the future.” Alex also takes your calls, breaks down the critical year that 2014 will be and reviews the year behind us. All of this and more on the Alex Jones Show.wwwinfowarscom

• Solutions..We Need Solutions...June coming up quicklyDecember 29, 2013 - 2:40 pm

Who do we vote for....House of Representatives, Senate, Governors? We need a list and for the proper people to run...Time is running out....DO NOT VOTE for Hillary clingon or Chris Christie ( is Christie a Mason? )

• The MisterDecember 29, 2013 - 3:09 pm

Wow, Jason, you must feel pretty threatened by God. I've not heard you respond so violently against Buddha or Muhammad or even Gaia. What is there about the One True God that has you so worried? Why can't you just ignore this talk of God as wasted babble and proceed on to more important things? Is it because what we see in the DR comments is just a hint of the internal conflict you suffer? Jesus loves you regardless, Jason. You are held responsible for what you choose to do, but Jesus still loves you.

• Jason KnowlesDecember 29, 2013 - 3:19 pm

Mister, your comments on this website have shown you to be the least Christian person I've ever seen. Threatened by God? Laughable. You must be new here. I rip all organized religions and their followers with equal vigor. The DR only gives voice to Christian writers so I have limited choices on what I can comment on. I have a conscience that dictates my morality, not a book of fairy tales.

• The MisterDecember 29, 2013 - 3:32 pm

You said, "I have a conscience that dictates my morality." Wow, Jason... you get to define your own morality... you get to determine what's right and what's wrong... what's good and evil!! You are as god! Congrats on the promotion! For context: Then the serpent said, "... and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

• CD BrooksDecember 29, 2013 - 3:50 pm

Funnier yet.

• CD BrooksDecember 29, 2013 - 3:27 pm

Funny.

• Vatican's Fides News Agency - U.S. Backed Syrian Rebels KillingDecember 29, 2013 - 3:22 pm

• Jason KnowlesDecember 29, 2013 - 3:50 pm

Yes, Mister, I do. Morality is always defined by people. How can you say that God is the essence of morality if you (a person) aren't the one defining it? Morality for me involves doing no harm to others unless they seek to harm me. I don't hurt other people, infringe on the rights (political or natural) of other people, or impose my beliefs on others - THAT is the essence of morality, my morality.

• The MisterDecember 29, 2013 - 4:12 pm

Jason, what if my morality is exactly the opposite of yours? What if my morality is "the law of the jungle" or "might makes right"... how can you say that my morality is wrong if each person gets to set their own morality? It would not morally be wrong, then, for Adam Lanza to open fire in a school if his morality said it was okay. I know... you're going to switch it up from a person sets his own morality to the community sets morality. That would be contrary to what you've asserted, but IF you were to say that morality is a communal construct, then it would be fine for a community of cannibals from elsewhere to come here and chow down on their favorite food? No, because it's okay in their community but not here? That would make morality from individual-based morality coalesced into a community-based morality within the framework of location-based morality. Amazing... the contortions people will go through just to deny God.

• Jason KnowlesDecember 29, 2013 - 4:33 pm

Nice try. I can see you're from the "he who defines the terms wins the argument" school of debate. So who, in your world, defines "morality"? My morality falls in line with rational and accepted definitions of morality. Who or what I choose to believe or not believe is a far inferior barometer of morality than how I treat others. "Christians" like yourself engage in tautology regarding morality: "god says it is good so therefore it is good." That is a pointless argument. How many innocent people did the God of the bible kill? Was that moral? I could claim that God revealed himself unto me and told me to kill you. By your definition, me killing you is moral.

• The MisterDecember 29, 2013 - 4:45 pm

You're deflecting, Jason. Answer this simple, direct question: If I set my own morality, can't everything I do be moral?

• Jason KnowlesDecember 29, 2013 - 5:03 pm

I didn't deflect anything. The answer to your question is this: if you define morality as the ability and license to do whatever I please when I please, then no it isn't. You still have not answered my questions: Who or what defines morality? And what is YOUR definition (assuming you have one) of morality?

• The MisterDecember 29, 2013 - 5:34 pm

That easy... morality is defined by God and is the application by man of the God-given rights and responsibilities of Natural Law. That's not my definition... that's God's definition of morality and is written upon the hearts of man--which is why even people who shun God still have some degree of intrinsic morality that shines through.

• Jason KnowlesDecember 29, 2013 - 5:57 pm

If that is the case, "application by man" seems to me to be a flawed concept since man is, according to your god, sinful by nature and in need of saving. Why allow men to apply God's definition if God's ways are so infinitely higher? Also, we must address God's morality. If he created the concept of right and wrong, then he must be beyond right and wrong, and it makes no sense to say that he is good. If however we say that God is good, then God is subject to the concept of morality, which must exist independent of him. According to you (and your co-religionists), nothing I do can ever be moral acts because I do not believe in God. My deeds are secondary to my beliefs then as a basis for being a moral person. By that logic, the Roman Catholic Adolf Hitler is a moral person and I am not because his beliefs were that of a "Christian" even though his deeds were anything but. I do not "hate" anybody, Mister, nor do I love my enemies. I try and be a good helpful person and do the right thing more often than not. There is simply no evidence that the god of the bible exists, therefore I reject that proposition. If that defines an immoral person, then so be it. I can live with that. Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company!

• The MisterDecember 29, 2013 - 6:51 pm

(I'm answering in the order of questions in your post, Jason.) Man is sinful and in need of saving... God has a program for that. God allows men to apply His morals (Natural Law) because it teaches man to become more God-like. You are right, Jason, God is above right and wrong; some say God is good and others curse His name. The sense in that is from our perspective, not from God's. Twisty, twisty, Jason... I said that God wrote morality on the hearts of man and even if that man, like you for instance, doesn't "believe" in God, His morality will still shine through. You twisted that into "nothing I do can ever be moral acts because I do not believe in God". Jason, you stated the opposite of what I said and insinuated that that's what I said. In spite of yourself, Jason, you still have God's morality written upon your heart. Jason, you are a sinner... your deeds will not always be moral. That's why we are in need of saving. Hitler? He, too, was a sinner. I'm not so sure why you thought Roman Catholicism was "Christian"... it's as "Christian" as Mormonism or JW's or most any organized "religion". Just because they mention Jesus... they are NOT Christian and if you think salvation comes from strictly following the doctrines and traditions of any of these, you would be wrong. Many of these organizations are good for fellowship or for doing good works, but don't look to these for your "Christian" education or for your salvation. You'll want a Bible and prayer. I'm sure, Jason, that you are a good and helpful person and do the right thing more often than you know... perhaps for that reason alone you might find God in your heart. Start searching; see what happens. Lastly, no, I don't think you're an immoral person because you draw upon the morality God put in your heart. An immoral person would harden their heart to that intrinsic morality and exercise every deceit and force necessary to satisfy their carnal being. I'm sure Heaven will be, well, heavenly and, sadly, I'm sure there are a lot of good people in Hell. Thanks for the conversation, Jason.

• Khazar Empire, Illuminati and The New World Order part4December 29, 2013 - 4:27 pm

• http://vaticproject.blogspot.com/2010/03/cps-involved-in-child-trafficking-rings.htmlDecember 29, 2013 - 4:36 pm

Given the recent spats of such "heart attacks, suicides and unsolved murders" of whistleblowers and justice seekers, We believe its important to look behind these events until such time as Cheney's and now Rahms' "CIA and Mossad Domestic Assassination Squads" can be investigated, prosecuted, and disbanded since justice can only come from such transparency and viewing. Watch these and read the articles yourselves and decide. These are earlier videos during her investigation of this massive Social services kidnapping of children for the sex trade. You can see what she was doing that may have created this result for her and her spouse.CPS Involved In Child Trafficking Rings Explains Senator Schafer - Part I of 4 ............also Google...CIA The Finders........The Intelligence Services work for the Luciferian Globalist Bankers....not their respective Countries...lf the Good Guys within the Agencies find out the truth they are silenced.

Travis lines up 2 days of aviation excellence

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Congressman talks Travis, water

By Barry Eberling | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Appreciate how good we have it now

By Angela Borchert | From Page: A2

Review set for $2M pizza case in Fairfield

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3

Cherokee Nation to offer photo IDs at Rush Ranch

By Adrienne Harris | From Page: A3

Dixon May Fair has deals on advance tickets

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Accused machete attacker testifies in trial

By Jess Sullivan | From Page: A3

Garamendi talks love, pro football and Peace Corps

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A3, 1 Comment | Gallery

All Things Art Festival organizers seek artists, vendors

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Author to sign books at Vacaville Museum

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Kroc Center women schedule inaugural Taster Tea

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A3

Theme park welcomes seal pup

By Adrienne Harris | From Page: A4

Mother’s Day fair returns to Suisun waterfront

By Ian Thompson | From Page: A4

Docents to lead paddling tour in marsh

By Adrienne Harris | From Page: A4

Juneteenth committee extends vendors, exhibitors deadline

By Amy Maginnis-Honey | From Page: A4

Congressional Art Competition is back

Spilled tomato juice case set for trial

By Ryan McCarthy | From Page: A4

Report: Shots fired from car on Clay Bank Road

By Adrienne Harris | From Page: A5

Fairfield police log: April 22, 2014

Suisun City police log: April 22, 2014

Suisun City police log: April 21, 2014

Fairfield police log: April 21, 2014

Weather for Thursday, April 24, 2014

Syrian activists accuse Assad of new gas attacks

Airport official: Teen had no clue he was in Maui

Murder charge for Vallejo man in head-on crash

California bill reignites affirmative action fight

Andy Lopez protest leads to school campus lockdown

Navy Cross bestowed on heroic Marine

Bashtag: NYPD Twitter campaign backfires

Soldier convicted in WikiLeaks case gets new name

US weighs clemency for inmates jailed for 10 years

Gun carry rights expanded in Ga. under new law

First lady announces one-stop job site for vets

Rail safety effort marred by squabbling

Small Wyoming town evacuated after gas explosion

Camilla’s brother dies in US after head injury

Lawyer: US man held in Cuba seeks to go home soon

Captain who left doomed ferry had 40 years at sea

Russian social media CEO quits, flees country

Amid Russia warning, Ukraine is in a security bind

Palestinian rivals to try again for unity deal

State senators get ethics training after scandals

Some Earth Day boos and cheers

By Jay Ambrose | From Page: A11

Question of the week: Will Flight 370 be found?

By Daily Republic | From Page: A11

Be the first and give specifics

By Letter to the Editor | From Page: A11

What we can do about crime

By Kelvin Wade | From Page: A11

Castro at odds with mentor on deportations

By Ruben Navarrette | From Page: A11

Today in History for April 24, 2014

Community Calendar: April 24, 2014

When Joe’s mad at me, he also ignores my 7-year-old son

By Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar | From Page: A9

Horoscopes for April 24, 2014

By Holiday Mathis | From Page: A9

Amazon snares classic shows in deal with HBO

Jodie Foster weds artist Alexandra Hedison

Singer Chris Brown’s DC trial delayed for months

Performing dogs go big after $1 million TV prize

Girls soccer update: Armijo, Vanden on way to playoffs

By Paul Farmer | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Mustangs swim to sweep of Indians

By Marcus Lomtong | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Warriors, Clippers to meet in Oakland for Game 3

Sharks confident with chance to sweep LA Kings

Perez helps Rangers sweep A’s with 3-0 win

Party a century in the making for Wrigley Field

A’s reject 10-year Coliseum lease offer

Prep softball: Vanden rolls to 14-0 win over Fairfield

Prep badminton: Unbeaten Mustangs cruise past Crushers

Prep boys golf: Vikings suffer SCAC loss to Panthers

Sanchez’s slam in 11th helps Giants beat Rox 12-10

Prep track: Armijo girls get win in MEL 4-way meet

Emmert supports more efficient, effective NCAA

Phelps having fun in his return to swimming

Suns’ Dragic honored as NBA’s Most Improved Player

Seahawks to open NFL season vs. Packers

Oldest living ex-MLB player dies in Cuba at 102

Wellness programs grow more popular with employers

Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock

Sales of new US homes plunge 14.5 percent in March

Buffett disapproves of Coca-Cola’s pay plan

Amazon snares classic shows in deal with HBO

US stocks edge lower after a six-day rise

Facebook 1Q results soar; CFO to step down