GM CEO: No more serious safety issues lurking

By From page B9 | June 11, 2014

DETROIT  — A thorough review of General Motors’ safety issues is nearing completion and hasn’t turned up any more serious problems, the company’s CEO said Tuesday.

Speaking to reporters before the company’s annual meeting, Mary Barra also said that personnel changes related to a deadly ignition switch problem are finished. The company forced out 15 workers last week after an outside attorney blamed them for failing to act on the problem. Five others were disciplined.

The meeting comes just days after former U.S. Attorney Anton Valukas issued a report that blamed an inefficient corporate structure and misconduct or poor decisions by some employees for allowing a deadly defect in an ignition switch to go undisclosed for more than a decade. GM this year has recalled 2.6 million small cars with the faulty switches. They have been blamed for more than 50 crashes and at least 13 deaths.

Barra further said GM may “tweak the structure here or there” but she doesn’t expect major changes.


The Associated Press

The Associated Press


Discussion | No comments

The Daily Republic does not necessarily condone the comments here, nor does it review every post. Please read our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy before commenting.

  • Recent Articles

  • Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2015 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.